Online Quantum Information & Technology Graduate Certificate
Drexel University's online Certificate Program in Quantum Technology and Quantum Information prepares you for success in the quickly growing fields of quantum science and engineering. The interdisciplinary curriculum provides a foundation in the field, while electives help you tailor the certificate to your goals. Through this quantum digital technology program, you will obtain a fundamental understanding of the implementation and use of existing quantum computing hardware tools and systems, as well as a working knowledge to evaluate relevant quantum information processes and components. The quantum mechanics certificate’s goal is to help you obtain the skills you need to join the growing number of quantum technologists in government and private sectors.
What is Quantum Technology?
Quantum technology is a type of technology that functions by using the principles of quantum mechanics. This technology appears in everything from global positioning systems (GPSs) to medical equipment to everyday electronic appliances.
Drexel’s quantum technology course provides an applied physics/engineering treatise of the fundamental building blocks of quantum computers. Topics include the physics of quantum computing, different quantum bit (qubit) technologies (ion trap/superconducting/semiconductor spin qubits), full hardware and system level aspects, and the near future outlook of the paradigm.
What is Quantum Information?
Drexel’s quantum information program provides an introduction to the principles of quantum information and quantum information processing. It covers the basic postulates of quantum physics (e.g. superposition, entanglement, measurement) necessary for quantum computing and examines the way in which quantum information is stored and processed (e.g. quantum bits, quantum gates, quantum algorithms).
Quantum Information & Technology Program Features
- 100% online
- Designed for working professionals
- Taught by research professionals in the field of quantum technology and quantum information
- A highly interactive online learning method allows extensive interaction with faculty and classmates
- Choose from electives in topics such as theoretical quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and nanoscience and materials properties
- Credits from this quantum mechanics certificate can be applied toward the in-person MS in Physics or Materials Science and Engineering upon acceptance to those programs
Requirements For The Quantum Information & Technology Program
This quantum digital technology certificate was designed for those with undergraduate degrees in physics, chemistry, materials science and engineering, and related fields. To be eligible for this program, you should have a GPA of at least 3.0. To view a full list of application requirements, including information regarding letters of recommendation and an admissions essay, please see the Admissions Criteria page.
Which Industries Does this Program Align with?
A background in quantum technology and information can prepare you for careers in a wide variety of fields. Some common industries that employ professionals with a background in quantum technology include:
- Networks and Communications
- Sensors and Materials
Quantum Technologies Careers
Within the field of quantum digital technology, there are a number of diverse jobs you can pursue. In addition to engineering opportunities, you can also find work in teaching, research, and even marketing. Some common job titles include:
- Blockchain & Multiparty Systems Technology Consultant
- Communications and Marketing Specialist
- Product Manager
- Quantum Infrastructure Security Technician
- Software Engineer
Quantum Technologies & Information Salary Expectations
According to EMSI, the average yearly salary for professionals with a specialty in quantum technology and information in the U.S. is $122,845. Currently, there are 2,000 job openings within the field.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|PHYS 554||Quantum Technology||3.0|
|PHYS 558||Quantum Information||3.0|
|Choose two of the following:|
|Quantum Mechanics I|
|Quantum Mechanics II|
|Solid State Physics I|
|PHYS 627||Solid State Physics II|
|Introduction to Solid State Materials|
|Structure, Symmetry, and Properties of Materials|
- A four-year bachelor's degree in any major from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution
- 3.0 GPA preferred in a prior completed degree, bachelors or above
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions attended (including trade schools)
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Essay/Statement of Purpose
- Please briefly describe your academic and professional history, your motivation for pursuing this certificate, and how this certificate will help you realize future professional plans.
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $1342 per credit.
- This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 20, 2022
August 27, 2022
August 29, 2022
September 3, 2022
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.