Online Sports Leadership Certificate Program
With Drexel University's online Graduate Certificate in Sport Leadership, you can take your coaching goals to the next level. You’ll learn to lead and communicate effectively with athletes and program stakeholders, using these skills to become a valued asset to the athletic community.
Drexel’s online sport leadership program is designed to support students from different backgrounds and career levels, including former athletes looking for their next career move in sports, educators interested in moving into the field of coaching, and current coaches looking to improve their coaching practices. The curriculum brings together theory and practice to provide you with a strong research foundation to support data-driven solutions for current and emerging issues in the industry.
What is a Sport Leadership Certificate?
A sport leadership certificate prepares you to be an impactful leader both on and off the field. At Drexel, this online certificate is offered through the School of Education, and the curriculum is grounded in both coaching theory and pedagogy. Course content focuses on a leadership development plan, including enhancing skills in communication, planning, evaluations, and ethical decision-making.
Sport Leadership Program Features
- 100% online so you can learn on your schedule
- Focus on diversity, equity and inclusion in coaching
- Evidence-based best practices from the most up-to-date solutions in the area of sport coaching
- Faculty members have served in national and international leadership roles in sport, including the U.S. Center for Coaching Excellence, the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee, and the International Council for Coaching Excellence
How Long Does it Take to Earn a Certificate in Sport Leadership?
This online sport leadership certificate consists of four, three-credit courses, for a total of 12 credits. You can complete the certificate in four quarters, which takes about one year.
What Can You Do with a Certificate in Sport Leadership?
Drexel’s online sports leadership program prepares you for dynamic and diverse careers within organizations such as:
- K-12 schools
- National and international sport associations
- Public, private, and for-profit four-year and two-year colleges and universities
- Sport organizations
Whether you’re currently working in this space and want to advance your career, or are hoping to break into the field, this certificate prepares you for success. And, because the program is entirely online, you can continue working while completing the program.
What Salary Can You Earn with a Certificate in Sport Leadership?
The demand for coaches is on the rise. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for coaches and scouts is expected to rise 12%, much faster than average, between 2019-2029. While your salary can vary based on your exact title and location, some common salaries and job titles related to the sports leadership program include:
- Assistant Coach - $30,000
- Athletic Director - $60,687
- Head Coach - $52,087
Source: Payscale.com and Glassdoor.com
- EdD in Educational Leadership and Management - Sport Leadership Concentration
- Graduate Certificate in NCAA Compliance
- MS in Sport Business
- MS in Sport Coaching Leadership
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|SCL 501||Coaching Theory & Principles||3.0|
|SCL 503||Pedagogical Strategies in Coaching||3.0|
|SCL 504||Coaching Psychology||3.0|
|SMT 629||Managing Coaches & Teams||3.0|
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $1017 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1355 per credit)
- This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 20, 2022
August 27, 2022
August 29, 2022
September 3, 2022