Mathematics Education Online Degree
MS in Mathematics Learning and Teaching
Drexel University’s accredited online Master of Science in Mathematics Learning and Teaching represents a highly evolved synthesis of research-based practices designed to equip teachers with techniques to help you reason through mathematical challenges with an analytical multiple-solution approach.
The program provides you with the disposition, skills and breadth of expertise needed to implement problem-based and technology-intensive instruction that is student-centered. Ideal for teachers interested in further study and earning positions in cutting-edge mathematics learning and teaching, this program also equips you with leadership skills that will enable you to advocate better educational practices in your home school and district.
We also offer a Certificate of Graduate Study in Mathematics Learning and Teaching which consists of five 3-credit courses that prepares teachers for further study and development in exceptional mathematics teaching and learning.
- Prepares you to use students' thinking as a resource for instructional decision-making, developing activities and engaging action research projects, and creating technology-based lessons.
- Teaches two powerful educational approaches: Japanese Lesson Study, a collaborative approach for developing and refining effective math lessons; and Math Forum, in which, "problems-of-the-week" are used to engage the online math community to further your teaching skills and develop effective feedback.
- Faculty includes teacher educators, mathematicians, and school administrators with years of experience in mathematics education.
- Drexel is ranked as one of "America’s Best Graduate Schools" preparing today’s educators by U.S.News & World Report
- Online coursework is ideal for working teachers.
- Mathematics Learning and Teaching Programs
- Online Teaching Strategies for K-12 Educators: Basics for Beginners to Intermediate Users
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|Education Core Courses|
|EDUC 522||Evaluation of Instruction||3.0|
|EDUC 524||Current Research in Curriculum & Instruction||3.0|
|EDUC 525||Multi-Media Instructional Design||3.0|
|Mathematics Education Core Courses|
|MTED 501||Proportional and Algebraic Reasoning||3.0|
|MTED 502||Geometry & Spatial Reasoning||3.0|
|MTED 503||Data Analysis and Probabilistic & Statistical Reasoning||3.0|
|MTED 511||Functions Through the Curriculum||3.0|
|MTED 601||Diagnosing Student Mathematical Thinking||3.0|
|MTED 611||Virtual Field Experience I - Online Mentoring||1.5|
|MTED 612||Virtual Field Experience II - Online Mentoring||1.5|
|MTED 651||Problem Solving Strategies||3.0|
|EDU 780||Capstone Research||3.0|
|Select from the Practitioner, Thesis or Lesson Study Capstone tracks:|
|EDUP 780||Practitioner Capstone Course I||3.0|
|or EDUT 780||Thesis Capstone Course I|
|or EDUL 780||Lesson Study Capstone Course I|
|EDUT 781||Thesis Capstone Course II||3.0-4.5|
|or EDUT 781||Thesis Capstone Course II|
|or EDUL 781||Lesson Study Capstone Course II|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate degree GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
- Provisional admission may be granted with a GPA between 2.75 and 2.99
- Current teacher certification at the middle or high school level
- Private or charter school teachers without certification can contact the program director for further evaluation, or pursue other master's degree programs and take MLT courses as electives/content courses.
- Completion of at least two semesters (or three quarters) of university calculus and at least one university mathematics course beyond university calculus
- This additional course must be offered by the mathematics department and cannot include courses on the Fundamentals of Mathematics, College Algebra, or Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers
- Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individual basis by the program director or the program admissions committee
- You must have the ability to be videotaped teaching students during the second year of the program
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Personal Essay
- Current Resume
- Proof of certification for teaching at the middle or high school level
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1007 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1342 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 4, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021