Graduate Certificate in Instructional Design
Drexel's accredited online Instructional Design graduate certificate program is designed to prepare professionals to effectively and efficiently design learning environments using a variety of media. This includes those preparing to be instructional designers, teachers, and other learning design professionals for PK-12 education, adult education, and workplace training.
You'll learn about the five phases of systematic instructional design: analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation, along with newer process models and rapid prototyping to meet the demands of just-in-time learning and reduced budgets. The certificate specifically addresses the needs of the millennial learner and collaborative, networked communities. You're encouraged to integrate your professional experiences and engage co-learners from other environments in their explorations.
You will learn to:
- Create effective learning artifacts using a variety of media and methods including social media via mobile devices
- Design an effective instructional development plan that meets the needs of various stakeholders
- Collaborate with and lead a team of talented contributors to create an instructional product resulting in an effective and efficient outcome
- Design and integrate virtual community processes into learning environments
- Design effective learning experiences for online and blended students using tools and methods specific to these environments
- Apply knowledge from the quickly evolving field of learning science to the design process
- Create effective technology-enhanced instruction that includes analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation
- Recognize and adapt learning environments, tools, methods, and strategies to engage and optimize learning for disabled populations
- Negotiate an effective instructional design and development initiative that meets the needs of a real client
- Plan, develop, evaluate, and manage the rapid design/development of effective instructional materials
- A flexible, completely online program that fits easily into your busy work and personal schedule
- Drexel is ranked as one of "America’s Best Graduate Schools" preparing today’s educators by U.S.News & World Report, and among the "Top-25 STEM Schools of 2018" by Forbes
- A highly interactive online learning method allows extensive interaction with faculty and other classmates
- Creating A Positive Collaborative Relationship between the Subject Matter Expert and the Instructional Design Team
- Learning Technologies and Creativity & Innovation Programs
- Pivotal Pedagogy: Higher Education Teaching and Instructional Design in the New Normal
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDLT 503||The Learning Sciences||3.0|
|EDLT 532||Designing Virtual Communities for Staff Development - Non-Field Experience||3.0|
|EDLT 541||Foundations of Game-Based Learning||3.0|
|EDLT 551||Instructional Design Methods||3.0|
|EDLT 552||Instructional Design: Project Management||3.0|
|EDLT 553||Instructional Design: Special Topics||3.0|
|EDLT 554||Learning with Social Media and Mobiles||3.0|
|ELL 503||Teaching and Learning Issues in E-Learning||3.0|
|ELL 504||Learning Technologies & Disabilities||3.0|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Personal Statement (500 - 750 words) describing your interest in the program. Specifically:
- How the program relates to your previous educational and professional activities
- If changing course, why you are moving in this new direction with your educational goals
- How the program relates to your current line of work
- How you plan to apply the program to your future goals
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1007 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1342 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 4, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.