Online Master’s of Laboratory Animal Science
Master of Laboratory Animal Science (MLAS)
The online Master of Laboratory Animal Science graduate program is designed for those currently working within the field of laboratory animal science who want to take their career to the next level. Combining effective training in basic animal science and an extensive laboratory animal science curriculum, this program builds a solid foundation in all aspects of laboratory animal science and animal facility management.
Graduates of the program have careers in the laboratory animal facilities of universities, biotechnology companies, government agencies, and pharmaceutical companies, where they serve as veterinarians, supervisors, managers, IACUC administrators, trainers, educators, and consultants, and are able to help animals in a variety of crucial ways.
During the program, we ask that you have a consulting mentor (lab animal veterinarian or authorized representative) at your current workplace that is available to help you should you need it throughout the curriculum.
Masters in Laboratory Animal Science Online Program Features
- Drexel is one of the only universities offering a Master of Laboratory Animal Science online
- Part-time, three-year program, allowing flexibility for busy professionals
- No on-campus requirements
What is a Master’s in Laboratory Animal Science?
A master’s degree in laboratory animal science prepares you to work with animals in biomedical research. This degree can help you advance in your current role within the field, or help enhance your application for future veterinary training.
Drexel University’s laboratory animal science degree is the oldest and most well-known program of its kind in the United States and has graduated hundreds of students. Courses in this program cover topics like regulations, animal models, diseases, husbandry methods, procedures, facilities, and equipment. The curriculum is designed to provide you with the highly specific and relevant skillset you need to succeed in the field.
What Jobs Can You Get with an Animal Science Degree?
Many students who enter Drexel’s online master’s degree in laboratory animal science are already working in the field and use this degree to advance their career. Some common job titles that Drexel students have held include:
- Animal Health Technologist
- Associate Supervisor of Surgery
- Husbandry and Operations Trainer
- Laboratory Animal Technician
- Manager, Veterinary/Animal Care
- Research Compliance Specialist
- Research Specialist
- Veterinary Scientist
How Can I Help Animals with a Career in Lab Animal Science?
Working in the lab animal science field allows you to participate in the care and safety of animals used in research and education. This means that you are responsible for ensuring that these animals have the proper food, water, and living conditions they need, as well as observing their general health and working with veterinarians to make sure the animals are being provided with the care they require. You will also help ensure that conditions are in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act and U.S. Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, if relevant.
What are the Salary Expectations for a Master’s in Lab Animal Science Graduate?
Salaries for graduates will vary based on location, title, and your level of experience. However, some average salaries within the field are:
Facility Compliance Manager
Animal Health Care Technician
Senior-Level Laboratory Animal Technician
Mid-Level Laboratory Animal Technician
Entry-Level Laboratory Animal Technician
- Bringing the Magic Through Podcasting: A Behind the Scenes Look into the Lab Rat Chat Podcast
- Compassion Fatigue: You are Not Alone
- Environmental Enrichment for Laboratory Research Animals
- Master of Laboratory Animal Science Online Open House
- Why Does It Hurt? Understanding Pain and the Technician's Role in Pain Management
For questions, contact:
Program Director, Master of Laboratory Animal Science (MLAS)
|Laboratory Animal Seminar
|The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee’s (IACUC) Role in Animal Research
|Public Outreach for Animal Research
|Clinical Orientation In Laboratory Animal Facilities
|Financial Management In Laboratory Animal Science
|Arch Eng & Plan For Anim Fac
|Biology & Care Of Lab Animals
|Animal Models for Biomedical Research
|Clinical Laboratory Techniques and Concepts
|Diseases of Laboratory Animals
|Laboratory Animal Practicum
|Select a minimum of 6.0 credits from the following:
|Molecular Biology & Biochemistry of the Cell
|Occupational Safety and Health in Laboratory Animal Care and Use Programs
|Biostats In Vet Science
|Fundamentals of Histology
|Medical Microbiology I
|Concepts in Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Those with a lower GPA are encouraged to apply, but should ensure that relevant professional experience is included on their resume for evaluation
- Current employment in a laboratory animal facility, with a minimum of two years hands-on experience
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Three professional letters of recommendation. Examples of eligible recommenders include:
- Current or previous workplace supervisor
- Previous science professors
- Personal statement describing your academic and professional laboratory animal science goals
- Additional requirements for International Students
- General GRE scores, at or above the 50th percentile in all areas, obtained within the last 5 years
- Those without GRE scores are encouraged to apply, but should ensure that relevant professional/ academic experience is included for evaluation
The tuition rate for the academic year 2023-2024 is $1603 per credit.
For the academic year 2023-2024, students enrolled in an online graduate academic program will be charged a graduate online program fee of $125 per year.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2023-2024 Academic Year
August 21, 2023
December 15, 2023
January 8, 2024
May 3, 2024
May 13, 2024
August 2, 2024