MS in Molecular Medicine Online Program
The online Master of Science in Molecular Medicine program provides extensive training in the academic, research and entrepreneurial aspects of biomedical sciences with an emphasis on translational research in the development of therapeutics and vaccines.
Offered by Drexel University’s prestigious College of Medicine, this online program was developed to provide the enhanced academic credentials needed in your existing role or to serve as the foundation for pursuing a career in the biomedical industrial sciences.
The program encompasses fundamental requirements to establish a sound grounding in microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology. It’s designed with two years of required and elective graduate courses, and a research internship in the summer session of the first or second year.
- Can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. Part-time students typically finish within four years. Students interested in the full-time option should discuss their plan of study with an advisor/program director.
- Experiential research internship opportunity in either an academic or company setting
- Program directors and course faculty work closely with you to best achieve your specific goals
- No thesis or dissertation required
The Master of Science in Molecular Medicine program is designed to provide academic and practical biotechnological knowledge in translational research, particularly in the areas of molecular therapeutics and vaccine development. The program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. Students interested in the full-time option should speak with an advisor.
The research component of the curriculum can be fulfilled by two alternative approaches. Most choose to engage in a hands-on 12 week research internship at a laboratory at Drexel, another academic institution, or at a biotechnology or biopharmaceutical company. Alternatively, you may engage in an independent research project, with the approval and supervision of Program Directors.
A thesis is not required.
|IDPT 500S||Responsible Conduct of Research||2.0|
|or MIIM 503S||Biomedical Ethics|
|IDPT 501S||Biostatistics I||2.0|
|or MIIM 517S||Applied Statistics for Biomedical Sciences|
|MIIM 527S||Immunology, Immunopathology, and Infectious Diseases||3.0|
|MIIM 530S||Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine I||3.0|
|MIIM 531S||Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine II||2.0|
|MIIM 532S||Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine III||2.0|
|MIIM 534S||Molecular Medicine Journal Club I||1.0|
|MIIM 533S||Molecular Medicine Journal Club II||1.0|
|MIIM 540S||Viruses and Viral Infections||2.0|
|MIIM 541S||Bacteria and Bacterial Infections||2.0|
|MIIM 542S||Mycology and Fungal Infections||2.0|
|MIIM 543S||Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases||2.0|
|MIIM 606S||Microbiology and Immunology Seminar||1.0|
|MIIM 660S||Current Concepts in Molecular Medicine I||3.0|
|Select from a menu of additional electives, and complete the required research component:||8.0|
|Biotechniques I: Molecular and Genomic Methods|
|Biotechniques II: Immunological Methods|
|Vaccines and Vaccine Development|
|Principles of Biocontainment|
|Molecular Mechanisms of Microbial Pathogenesis|
|Emerging Infectious Diseases|
|Biomedical Research I|
|Biomedical Research II|
|Advanced Molecular Virology|
|Research Internship in Molecular Medicine|
- A four-year biology or chemistry-based BA or BS degree, with undergraduate coursework in biology, microbiology, immunology, chemistry, biochemistry, mathematics, and/or other related subjects
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 (lower cumulative GPA’s will be considered if other strengths are apparent in the application)
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals or former instructors
- Official GRE or MCAT Score Reports (optional)
- Personal Statement of approximately 500 words that addresses the following points:
- Your reasons for pursuing a degree from Drexel
- Your short-term and long-term career plans
- Your vision of how your background, experience, interests, and/or values, when combined with a Drexel degree, will enable you to pursue these goals successfully.
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1634 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2019-2020 Academic Year
August 19, 2019
December 13, 2019
January 6, 2020
May 1, 2020
May 11, 2020
July 31, 2020