MS in Sports Coaching Degree Online
MS in Sport Coaching Leadership
Turn your passion for sports into a coaching career
***The MS in Sport Coaching Leadership program will not be accepting new students for the Academic Year 2023-2024. More information to follow.***
For most athletes, the joy and accomplishment of competition ends when the play clock is up, but it doesn't have to. Many athletes come to find that same sense of reward from becoming a sports leader and role model to a team through coaching. Drexel's online Master's (MS) in Sport Coaching Leadership degree allows you to continue with the sport you love, while working with fellow athletes as you develop your career and theirs.
The program is offered through distance learning by Drexel's School of Education faculty and prepares coaches to become leaders both on and off the field.
Drexel’s Sports Coaching Degree Will Teach You
- Budgeting and Fiscal Management
- Coaching Theory
- NCAA Compliance
- Performance and Energy Systems
- Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries
- Program Development
- Recruitment Strategies
- Sport Psychology
Master’s in Coaching & Leadership Program Features
- A 7-10 day international residency
- Customizable course deliverables for level and sport(s) of interest
- Fully online program allows you to earn a Drexel degree on your schedule
Degree Concentrations for Sports Coaching Students
Not every sports coaching student is looking for the same degree—which is why Drexel offers a custom concentration as you pursue your Master’s in Sport Coaching Leadership.
A custom designed concentration in Drexel’s online Sport Coaching Leadership master’s program can include, but are not limited to:
- Higher Education
- Sport Management
- Sport Coaching Leadership
Online MS in Sport Coaching Leadership Program FAQs
What kind of student enrolls in the MS in Sport Coaching Leadership program?
Students enroll in Drexel’s online MS in Sport Coaching Leadership program because they have a genuine desire to become better coaches. Some of our students have no coaching experience and others are seasoned professionals. But all our coaches want to advance themselves and their careers so they can contribute more to their current or future organizations.
What types of jobs do graduates find when they complete their program?
Our graduates go on to find jobs in a variety of fields and areas in sports coaching leadership, including head coaching positions, sports administration in both high school and higher education institutions, and teaching in higher education institutions. Our students and graduates are granted full access to the Steinbright Career Development Center (SCDC) for assistance in all aspects of developing a career.
Is the study abroad trip in Italy required?
The Global Seminar course is a unique part of the program that allows students a great opportunity to see the world of coaching from many different perspectives. This program usually takes place in late June, but we understand that students have a lot going on and it's not always possible to attend this course. While we recommend attending, if it's not possible, with discussion and consideration of past academic performance in the program, we can organize an alternative such as taking additional graduate classes in place of the seminar.
Do online Sport Coaching classes take place on a certain day and time?
Learning in the Sport Coaching Leadership master’s program is largely asynchronous. This means you'll log in and participate during times that are convenient for you. There may be times when student groups will meet during a set time. Professors also sometimes set up meetings during classes, but they are not mandatory.
Non-Matriculated Course Option
Interested in applying to the MS in Sport Coaching Leadership degree program as a non-matriculated student? Select “Graduate Education Non-Matriculated” as your program of interest on the online application. Official transcripts and a resume are required. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for financial aid.
- EdD in Educational Leadership and Management - Athletic Administration Concentration
- Graduate Certificate in NCAA Compliance
- Graduate Certificate in Sport Leadership
- MS in Sport Business
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDCR 510||Leadership in Educational Contexts and Systems||3.0|
|EDCR 512||Using and Integrating Learning Technologies||3.0|
|EDCR 514||Diversity, Equity, and Social Justice in Education||3.0|
|EDCR 518||Evidence-Based Evaluation||3.0|
|PHIL 502||Ethics in Coaching||3.0|
|or SCL 502||Ethical Considerations in Coaching|
|SCL 614||Sport Performance & Energy Systems||3.0|
|SCL 615||Athletic Recruiting||3.0|
|SCL 619||Global Coaching Seminar||6.0|
|SCL 695||Coaching Practicum I||0.5|
|SCL 696||Coaching Practicum II||0.5|
|SCL 697||Coaching Practicum III||2.0|
|SMT 612||Development & Fundraising Strategies in Sport||3.0|
|Choose elective courses or a graduate minor|
|Coaching Theory and Principles|
|Learning Strategies in Coaching|
|Athlete Leadership Development|
|Emerging Trends in Sport|
|Managing Coaches & Teams|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Provisional admission may be granted if your GPA is below 3.0
- An admissions interview is required for a GPA below 2.75
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Essay addressing the following:
- Why you feel drawn to a career in coaching
- Your career goals
- How Drexel's program will help you achieve these goals
- Additional requirements for International Students
A telephone interview is required as part of the admissions process.
The tuition rate for the academic year 0-1 is $0 per credit.
For the academic year 2023-2024, students enrolled in an online graduate academic program will be charged a graduate online program fee of $125 per year.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
Sport Coaching Webinars
The following are previously recorded webinars conducted by Drexel on important topics related to coaching:
- Athlete Transition Out of College Sport
- Athlete Wellness or Athlete Burnout: Thinking Long Term About Athlete Success
- A Coach's Guide to Nutrition: Specialist Advice for Active Kids
- Creating a Culture of Success
- NCAA Compliance: What Every Coach Should Know
- The Significance of Gender: Success Strategies for Coaching Boys
- What Can Coaches Learn From Olympic Athletes About Dedication to Success?
- Additional Sport Coaching Webinars
2023-2024 Academic Year
September 26, 2023
December 9, 2023
December 11, 2023
December 16, 2023
January 8, 2024
March 16, 2024
March 18, 2024
March 23, 2024
April 1, 2024
June 8, 2024
June 10, 2024
June 15, 2024
June 24, 2024
August 31, 2024
September 3, 2024
September 7, 2024