Sports Coaching Online Degree
MS in Sport Coaching Leadership
Turn your passion for the game into a career
For most athletes, the joy and accomplishment of competition ends when the play clock is up. Drexel's online MS in Sport Coaching Leadership program allows you to continue with the sport you love, working with fellow athletes as you develop your career and theirs.
The program is offered by Drexel's full-time faculty and prepares coaches to meet challenges both on and off the field.
- Budgeting and fiscal management
- Coaching theory
- NCAA compliance
- Performance and energy systems
- Prevention and care of athletic injuries
- Program development
- Recruitment strategies
- Sport psychology
- A 7-10 day international residency
- Customizable course deliverables for level and sport(s) of interest
- Fully online program allows you to earn a Drexel degree on your schedule
Choose a custom-designed concentration or a sport-specific concentration in lacrosse or rowing.
Interested in applying as a non-matriculated student? Select “Graduate Education Non-Matriculated” as your program of interest on the online application. Official transcripts and a resume are required. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for financial aid.
- EdD in Educational Leadership and Management - Sport Leadership Concentration
- Graduate Certificate in Sport Leadership
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|PHIL 502||Ethics in Coaching||3.0|
|SCL 501||Coaching Theory and Principles||3.0|
|SCL 503||Pedagogical Strategies in Coaching||3.0|
|SCL 504||Coaching Psychology||3.0|
|SCL 614||Sport Performance & Energy Systems||3.0|
|SCL 615||Athletic Recruiting||3.0|
|SCL 619||Global Coaching Seminar||6.0|
|SCL 695||Coaching Practicum I||0.5|
|SCL 696||Coaching Practicum II||0.5|
|SCL 697||Coaching Practicum III||2.0|
|SMT 612||Development & Fundraising Strategies in Sport||3.0|
|SMT 629||Managing Coaches & Teams||3.0|
|Select one of the following concentrations:||12.0|
You may elect a custom-designed concentration that best suits your individual career goals. In this concentration, you may choose from classes in the following areas: Sport Coaching Leadership, Creativity, Higher Education, Education, Sport Management, Business, Entrepreneurship, or other related fields.
|SCL 620||Biomechanics in Rowing|
|SCL 621||Physiology and Training Methods for Rowing|
|SCL 622||Emerging Technologies and Trends in Rowing|
|SCL 623||Equipment Management and Rigging for High Performance|
|SCL 624||Rowing Safety and Risk Management|
|SCL 625||Racing: Rules, Preparation, and Strategy|
|SCL 626||Rowing Technique|
|SCL 630||History of Lacrosse|
|SCL 631||Physiology and Training Methods in Lacrosse|
|SCL 632||Emerging Technologies and Trends in Lacrosse|
|SCL 633||Equipment and Field Management in Lacrosse|
|SCL 634||Lacrosse Safety and Risk Management|
|SCL 635||The Women's Lacrosse Game: Rules, Preparation, and Strategy|
|or SCL 636||The Men's Lacrosse Game: Rules, Preparation, and Strategy|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Provisional admission may be granted if your GPA is below 3.0
- An admissions interview is required for a GPA below 2.75
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Essay addressing the following:
- Why you feel drawn to a career in coaching
- Your career goals
- How Drexel's program will help you achieve these goals
- Additional requirements for International Students
A telephone interview is required as part of the admissions process.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $1017 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1355 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
Sport Coaching Webinars
The following are previously recorded webinars conducted by Drexel on important topics related to coaching:
- Athlete Transition Out of College Sport
- Athlete Wellness or Athlete Burnout: Thinking Long Term About Athlete Success
- A Coach's Guide to Nutrition: Specialist Advice for Active Kids
- Creating a Culture of Success
- NCAA Compliance: What Every Coach Should Know
- The Significance of Gender: Success Strategies for Coaching Boys
- What Can Coaches Learn From Olympic Athletes About Dedication to Success?
- Additional Sport Coaching Webinars
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 20, 2022
August 27, 2022
August 29, 2022
September 3, 2022
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.