Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Certification Program Online
As communities diversify, teachers trained to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) are in high demand across the US. Teaching English as a second language in Pennsylvania and many other states now require a Program Specialist with an ESL certificate.
Drexel's accredited accelerated 10 week-long summer ESL certificate program is taught by expert faculty who integrate readings, discussion, practicum, and case study experience into each course. Curriculum covers the theory and practice of second language education, the structure and sound of English, the design and assessment of ESL course materials, as well as broader issues in intercultural learning. It does not require that you speak another language.
Approximately 30 hours of field experiences are required over the summer and must take place in an approved setting with ELLs whose first language is not English. Drexel School of Education’s Field Placement Office coordinates all student placements requests. All students are required to submit the appropriate field experience application and all required clearances after acceptance into the TESL program.
This program satisfies the PA state education requirements to teach English as a Second Language. Upon successful completion, candidates will be eligible to apply for the PA ESL Specialist. TESL requirements vary state by state. If you live outside of Pennsylvania, please consult with your state Department of Education prior to enrolling in our program for specific interstate agreement requirements.
- A flexible, completely online program that fits easily into your busy work and personal schedule
- Named one of “America’s Best Graduate Schools” preparing today’s educators by U.S. News & World Report
- Drexel’s teacher education programs are approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- A highly interactive online learning method allows extensive interaction with faculty and other classmates
CAEP Accredited Provider
The Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP) accredits Drexel University School of Education educator preparation programs. CAEP promotes excellence in educator preparation through quality assurance and continuous improvement. Drexel University meets rigorous national standards for education preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation.
Teaching Outside of the United States
Drexel's TESL credential is not designed for teaching English outside the United States. While some of the theory and pedagogical approaches for teaching English language learners is the same, the school contexts and the experience of students and their families is very different in an immigrant context such as in the U.S. where English is a second language as opposed to an international setting where English is a foreign language. Course curricula, readings, and assignments in the Drexel TESL credential assume the U.S. school context, including current standards, testing mandates and curricular approaches.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This accelerated summer program is organized into two five-week summer sessions, late June through early September. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|Language Learning & Teaching
|Structure and Sound System of English
|Design and Assessment
|The Intercultural Learner
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Essay (1000 to 1500 words) describing why you are interested in pursuing the program
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2023-2024 is $1079 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1438 per credit)
For the academic year 2023-2024, students enrolled in an online graduate academic program will be charged a graduate online program fee of $125 per year.
- This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates are available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2023-2024 Academic Year
September 26, 2023
December 9, 2023
December 11, 2023
December 16, 2023
January 8, 2024
March 16, 2024
March 18, 2024
March 23, 2024
April 1, 2024
June 8, 2024
June 10, 2024
June 15, 2024
June 24, 2024
August 31, 2024
September 3, 2024
September 7, 2024