Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Certification Program Online
As communities diversify, teachers trained to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) are in high demand across the US. Teaching English as a second language in Pennsylvania and many other states now require a Program Specialist with an ESL certificate.
Drexel's accredited online ESL certificate program is taught by expert faculty who integrate readings, discussion, practicum, and case study experience into each course. Curriculum covers the theory and practice of second language education, the structure and sound of English, the design and assessment of ESL course materials, as well as broader issues in intercultural learning. It does not require that you speak another language.
This is an add-on certificate available only to those who already possess a Pennsylvania Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate.
This program satisfies the PA state education requirements to teach English as a Second Language. Upon completion, you'll be awarded an ESL teaching certificate and a Drexel University credential to obtain a Pennsylvania TESL position. You may then apply for PA certification through the hiring school district.
TESL requirements vary state by state. If you live outside of Pennsylvania, please consult with your state Department of Education prior to enrolling in our program for specific interstate agreement requirements.
- A flexible, completely online program that fits easily into your busy work and personal schedule
- Named one of “America’s Best Graduate Schools” preparing today’s educators by U.S. News & World Report
- Drexel’s teacher education programs are approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- A highly interactive online learning method allows extensive interaction with faculty and other classmates
CAEP Accredited Provider
The Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP) accredits Drexel University School of Education educator preparation programs. CAEP promotes excellence in educator preparation through quality assurance and continuous improvement. Drexel University meets rigorous national standards for education preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation.
Teaching Outside of the United States
Drexel's TESL credential is not designed for teaching English outside the United States. While some of the theory and pedagogical approaches for teaching English language learners is the same, the school contexts and the experience of students and their families is very different in an immigrant context such as in the U.S. where English is a second language as opposed to an international setting where English is a foreign language. Course curricula, readings, and assignments in the Drexel TESL credential assume the U.S. school context, including current standards, testing mandates and curricular approaches.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDUC 602||Language Learning & Teaching||3.0|
|EDUC 604||Structure and Sound System of English||3.0|
|EDUC 606||Design and Assessment||3.0|
|EDUC 608||The Intercultural Learner||4.5|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A Pennsylvania Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Essay (1000 to 1500 words) describing why you're interested in pursuing the program
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $1017 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1355 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 21, 2022
August 29, 2022
August 30, 2022
September 3, 2022
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.