Dyslexia Specialist Certificate - Wilson Reading System® Certification
An exciting opportunity for teachers to complete the coursework and training hours for the WRS Level I Certification
The Dyslexia Specialist Certificate provides the courses required for the Wilson Reading System® (WRS) Level I Certification, and also offers the opportunity to work with a certified WRS trainer to complete your observation hours.
At Drexel, we are committed to preparing teachers to meet the diverse and changing needs of students today. The Dyslexia Specialist Certificate prepares teachers and tutors to work with students who are reading and spelling below grade level or have been diagnosed with language based learning disabilities. You will gain an in-depth knowledge of the sound-symbol relationship of the English language, the structure of the English language, and how to use diagnostic techniques to help students who struggle with decoding and spelling.
- Ability to receive WRS Certification Level I upon completion of the certificate program
- Access to three WRS certified trainers from the School of Education faculty
- A flexible and efficient path to a highly sought-after credential
- Credits transfer into Drexel's MS in Special Education program
Our program provides the courses and training hours needed for Wilson Reading System® (WRS) Level I certification, and meets the standards set forth by the International Dyslexia Association.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDLS 620||Applied Methods in Multisensory Reading Instruction||1.0|
|EDLS 621||Early Literacy Skills||2.0|
|EDLS 622||Basic Word Study I||3.0|
|EDLS 623||Basic Word Study II||3.0|
|EDLS 624||Multisensory Practicum I||1.0|
|EDLS 625||Multisensory Practicum II||1.0|
|EDLS 626||Multisensory Practicum III||1.0|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate degree GPA will be considered along with undergraduate GPA)
- If you do not meet this requirement, you’re still encouraged to apply and your file will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Program Director
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- An essay describing why you're interested in pursuing the Multisensory Reading Instruction program. Please indicate if you hold any state teacher certifications (e.g. Secondary Mathematics; PreK-4; Elementary K-6, etc.)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1007 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1342 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 11, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.