Dyslexia Specialist Certificate - Wilson Reading System® Certification
An exciting opportunity for teachers to complete the coursework and training hours for the WRS Level I Certification
The Dyslexia Specialist Certificate provides the courses required for the Wilson Reading System® (WRS) Level I Certification, and also offers the opportunity to work with a certified WRS trainer to complete your observation hours.
At Drexel, we are committed to preparing teachers to meet the diverse and changing needs of students today. The Dyslexia Specialist Certificate prepares teachers and tutors to work with students who are reading and spelling below grade level or have been diagnosed with language-based learning disabilities. You will gain an in-depth knowledge of the sound-symbol relationship of the English language, the structure of the English language, and how to use diagnostic techniques to help students who struggle with decoding and spelling.
- Ability to receive WRS Certification Level I upon completion of the certificate program
- Access to three WRS certified trainers from the School of Education faculty
- A flexible and efficient path to a highly sought-after credential
- Credits transfer into Drexel's MS in Special Education program
Our program provides the courses and training hours needed for Wilson Reading System® (WRS) Level I certification, and meets the standards set forth by the International Dyslexia Association.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|Applied Methods in Multisensory Reading Instruction
|Multisensory Reading Instruction
|Basic Word Study I
|Basic Word Study II
|Multisensory Practicum I
|Multisensory Practicum II
|Multisensory Practicum III
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate degree GPA will be considered along with undergraduate GPA)
- If you do not meet this requirement, you’re still encouraged to apply and your file will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Program Director
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- An essay describing why you're interested in pursuing the Multisensory Reading Instruction program. Please indicate if you hold any state teacher certifications (e.g. Secondary Mathematics; PreK-4; Elementary K-6, etc.)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2023-2024 is $1079 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1438 per credit)
For the academic year 2023-2024, students enrolled in an online graduate academic program will be charged a graduate online program fee of $125 per year.
- The plan of study for this program does not allow for use of federal financial aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2023-2024 Academic Year
September 26, 2023
December 9, 2023
December 11, 2023
December 16, 2023
January 8, 2024
March 16, 2024
March 18, 2024
March 23, 2024
April 1, 2024
June 8, 2024
June 10, 2024
June 15, 2024
June 24, 2024
August 31, 2024
September 3, 2024
September 7, 2024