Special Education Certification
The online Special Education Certification program seeks to produce professionals equipped with the fundamental skills, knowledge, and competencies necessary to meet the needs of students at risk for school failure and students with disabilities in multiple settings.
The program focuses on pre-kindergarten to secondary education levels and is for those interested in Special Education PreK-12 certification.
Candidates seeking Pennsylvania (PA) Special Education certification must have an active PA Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate. Out-of-state teachers may also earn their Pennsylvania Special Education PreK-12 certification if they transfer their current teacher certification to PA.
- A flexible online program that fits easily into your busy work and personal schedule. The only face-to-face requirements are the various field experiences that are conveniently arranged in an appropriate school in your area.
- Named one of “America’s Best Graduate Schools” preparing today’s educators by U.S. News & World Report
- Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- A highly interactive online learning method allows extensive interaction with faculty and other classmates
CAEP Accredited Provider
The Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP) accredits Drexel University School of Education educator preparation programs. CAEP promotes excellence in educator preparation through quality assurance and continuous improvement. Drexel University meets rigorous national standards for education preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation.
- How is it only January? Survival Strategies for the Classroom Teacher
- Online Open House: Special Education Programs
State restrictions may apply to some programs. Learn more.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
Pre-requisites for Certification in Special Education (PreK-12)
Students must have completed the following courses in order to apply for a Pennsylvania Special Education PreK-12 certification. All students entering the post-bachelor's certificate program after 2011 should have had these core courses in their initial certification program. If a student has not completed the following three courses, they should be taken to apply for special education certification:
|EDEX 542||Fundamentals of Special Education||3.0|
|EDEX 544||Inclusive Practices||3.0|
|EDEX 568||Literacy and Content Skill Development PK-12||3.0|
|Core Certification Courses|
|EDEX 536||Special Education Law and Process||3.0|
|EDEX 543||Emotional and Behavioral Support of Individuals with Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 549||Teaching Individuals with High Incident Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 550||Teaching Individuals with Low Incident Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 552||Integrating Technology for Learning & Achievement||3.0|
|EDEX 555||Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder||3.0|
|EDEX 575||Teaching STEAM in an Inclusive Environment PK-12||3.0|
|EDEX 578||Special Education Practicum PK-12||3.0|
|or EDEX 514||Special Education Student Teaching Seminar|
|EDEX 588||Implementing Academic Interventions in Inclusive Educational Environments||3.0|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
- If you do not meet this requirement, you’re still encouraged to apply and your file will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Program Director
- A Pennsylvania Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Essay describing why you're interested in pursuing graduate study in this field
- Copy of PA Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2023-2024 is $1079 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1438 per credit)
For the academic year 2023-2024, students enrolled in an online graduate academic program will be charged a graduate online program fee of $125 per year.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2023-2024 Academic Year
September 26, 2023
December 9, 2023
December 11, 2023
December 16, 2023
January 8, 2024
March 16, 2024
March 18, 2024
March 23, 2024
April 1, 2024
June 8, 2024
June 10, 2024
June 15, 2024
June 24, 2024
August 31, 2024
September 3, 2024
September 7, 2024