Special Education Certification
The online Special Education Certification program seeks to produce professionals equipped with the fundamental skills, knowledge, and competencies necessary to meet the needs of students at risk for school failure and students with disabilities in multiple settings.
The program focuses on pre-kindergarten to secondary education levels and is for those interested in Special Education PreK-12 certification.
Candidates seeking Pennsylvania (PA) Special Education certification must have an active PA Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate. Out-of-state teachers may also earn their Pennsylvania Special Education PreK-12 certification if they transfer their current teacher certification to PA.
- A flexible online program that fits easily into your busy work and personal schedule. The only face-to-face requirements are the various field experiences that are conveniently arranged in an appropriate school in your area.
- Named one of “America’s Best Graduate Schools” preparing today’s educators by U.S. News & World Report
- Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- A highly interactive online learning method allows extensive interaction with faculty and other classmates
State restrictions may apply to some programs. Learn more.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
Pre-requisites for Certification in Special Education
You must have completed the following courses in order to apply for a Pennsylvania Special Education PreK-12 certification. If you have not completed the following three courses, they should be taken to apply for special education certification:
|EDEX 542||Fundamentals of Special Education||3.0|
|EDEX 544||The Inclusive Classroom||3.0|
|EDEX 568||Literacy and Content Skill Development PK-12||3.0|
|EDEX 536||Special Education Processes PreK-12||3.0|
|EDEX 543||Emotional & Behavioral Support of Individuals with Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 575||Teaching STEAM in an Inclusive PreK-12 Environment||3.0|
|EDEX 549||Teaching Individuals with High Incident Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 550||Teaching Individuals with Low Incident Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 555||Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder||3.0|
|EDEX 552||Integrating Technology for Learning & Achievement||3.0|
|EDEX 578||Special Education Practicum PreK-12||3.0|
|EDEX 588||Implementing Academic Interventions in Inclusive Educational Environments||3.0|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
- If you do not meet this requirement, you’re still encouraged to apply and your file will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Program Director
- A Pennsylvania Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- An essay describing why you're interested in pursuing graduate study in this field
- Copy of PA Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1007 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1342 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2019-2020 Academic Year
September 23, 2019
December 7, 2019
December 9, 2019
December 14, 2019
January 6, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 21, 2020
April 6, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 9, 2020
June 13, 2020
June 22, 2020
August 30, 2020
September 2, 2020
September 5, 2020
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 4, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021