Drexel’s Online MS in Software Engineering
Master of Science in Software Engineering
The College of Computing & Informatics at Drexel University has addressed the growing importance of software in modern society and the subsequent demand for prepared practitioners. The result? A fully online, industry-relevant MS in Software Engineering program.
The program provides a foundational knowledge of key software engineering topics such as software design and architecture, engineering management, and systems analytics. Regardless of your career goals, Drexel’s online MS in Software Engineering program allows for an interdisciplinary, customized approach to mastering and ultimately advancing within the software industry.
Drexel University is ranked 15th for best online graduate computer information technology programs in 2019 by U.S. News and World Report.
Learn more about the four fastest growing jobs in the field.
- Shaped by the renowned College of Computing & Informatics, the curriculum encompasses behavioral, managerial, and technical aspects of software engineering
- Faculty members are doctorally prepared educators and accomplished professionals in the software engineering field
- The MS in software engineering program is recommended, but not limited to, professionals working in the software engineering field who are interested in technical and managerial software work across a wide range of application domains
- Choose electives based on your individual interests and career goals
- The online format lets you learn on your own schedule, while still providing ample opportunities to connect with professors and classmates
The Difference Between Computer Science and Software Engineering
Though both computer science and software engineering programs cover many of the same skills, there are a few key differences that you should be aware of. Are you looking for a program that focuses more on the theoretical and practical areas of computer science, or are you more interested in the design, development and testing of software systems? The skills you’re looking to learn will determine which program is the best fit for you. Learn more about computer science vs software engineering degrees.
- MS in Computer Science
- Graduate Certificate in Computing Systems Security & Privacy
- Graduate Certificate in Software Architecture
- Graduate Certificate in Software Management
Drexel University offers a variety of Graduate Minors that can be added to any master's degree program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
You may transfer up to 9 approved credits (3 courses) into the program.
|SE 570||Agile Software Development Process||3.0|
|SE 575||Software Design||3.0|
|SE 576||Software Reliability and Testing||3.0|
|SE 577||Software Architecture||3.0|
|SE 627||Requirements Engineering and Management||3.0|
|SE 638||Software Project Management||3.0|
|Choose 3 courses from the following:|
|Distributed Systems Software|
|Web Services and Mobile Architectures|
|Open Source Software Engineering|
|Software Engineering Economics|
|Choose 4 additional courses from the following:|
Up to 2 CS/SE Independent Studies
Additional graduate-level Computer Science, Software Engineering, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Information Science courses, consulting with an advisor for appropriate options.
Additional graduate-level computing-related courses outside of CCI, consulting with an advisor for appropriate options.
CS Certificate Courses
|Introduction to Programming|
|Data Structures and Algorithms|
|Introduction to Software Design|
|SE 691||Software Studio (Taken twice)||6.0|
- A four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution.
- Those without a prior degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Math (plus programming) may have to take additional prerequisites before pursuing advanced computer science courses.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 for the last two years of undergraduate work
- If any graduate work has been completed, the average GPA must be at least 3.0
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- One letter of recommendation, two suggested (academic, professional, or both)
- A 500 word essay on why you wish to pursue the program
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores are not required
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2022-2023 is $1396 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2022-2023 Academic Year
September 19, 2022
December 3, 2022
December 5, 2022
December 10, 2022
January 9, 2023
March 18, 2023
March 20, 2023
March 25, 2023
April 3, 2023
June 10, 2023
June 12, 2023
June 17, 2023
June 26, 2023
September 2, 2023
September 4, 2023
September 9, 2023
Apply for admission to Drexel University
Use the Apply Now form to get started.
Previously enrolled at Drexel? Learn more about readmission.
Any problems? Find help or contact us.