Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Post-Master's Certificate
The accredited online Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Post-Master's Certificate is intended for MSN prepared practitioners who would like to gain further knowledge in the management of medical, surgical, and critical care patient populations. The program provides the knowledge and skills needed to improve and sustain the health of acutely ill patients. Emphasis is placed upon diagnostic reasoning and clinical decision making. Acute care nurse practitioners are needed in a variety of healthcare settings, including: intensive care units, consult services, hospitalist teams, palliative care services, home care, sub acute long-term care hospitals, specialty clinics and research intense settings.
The program can generally be completed in 1.5 to 2 years of part-time study with 800 clinical hours, although you may be eligible for a reduction in course work and clinical hours. In that case, an individual program of study will be formulated by performing a formal Gap Analysis of previously completed course work. If you wish to be considered for this reduction, you're required to submit syllabi, course calendars, and transcripts of the courses under consideration. Coursework completed more than five years ago and without current clinical experience will not be accepted for the following courses: Advanced Pharmacology, Advanced Pathophysiology, and Advanced Physical Assessment. All students are required to successfully complete Adult-Gerontology Acute Care NP specific pharmacology at Drexel.
- Ranked #41 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #16 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report
- An experienced and board certified faculty from Drexel’s acclaimed College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Synchronous online lectures offer a highly interactive learning format that challenges and engages
- Upon completion of the program, you will become eligible for Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification through ANCC or AACN
- The post-graduate APRN certificate at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
This high-quality program demands a major commitment of time, including an on-campus visit that is essential for transition into the NP role. You’ll participate in the following mandatory On-Campus Intensive:
- NURS 570 AG-ACNP I - Summer Simulation Experience (4 days)
During the On-Campus Intensive, you'll engage in simulated clinical learning experiences conducted in the College of Nursing and Health Professions' state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary patient simulation lab. This visit provides direct guidance and mentoring from faculty, as well as the opportunity to collaborate with peers.
Pennsylvania RN licensure is required prior to the start of your clinical components. While this is not a requirement for admission, we recommend starting the process immediately after admission.
The nurse practitioner programs in the Department of Advanced Practice Nursing at Drexel University provide you the flexibility of finding and coordinating your own clinical site and preceptor. The department also offers resources to assist you in this process. Accessibility to clinical sites and preceptors varies from state to state, and you may be required to travel to access clinical sites/preceptors and achieve the necessary clinical hours.
Questions? We're here to help!
College of Nursing and Health Professions Program Team
*Online Nurse Practitioner programs are offered only on a part-time basis.
*State restrictions may apply to some programs.
*The Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Post-Master's Certificate program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|NURS 548||Advanced Pathophysiology||3.0|
|NURS 549||Advanced Pharmacology||3.0|
|NURS 550||Advanced Clinical Assessment & Diagnostic Reasoning||4.0|
|NURS 664||Professional Issues for Nurse Practitioners||1.0|
|NURS 554||Pharmacology for Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioners||3.0|
|NURS 570||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP I: Introduction to Adult Gerontology Acute Care Medicine||5.0|
|NURS 571||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP II: Mgnt/Care of Patients in Acute/Crit Care Med Set||5.0|
|NURS 572||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP III: Mgnt/Care of Patients in Acute Surgical Setting||5.0|
|NURS 573||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP IV: Management of Care of Patients in Critical Care Settings||5.0|
|NURS 580||Adult Gero Acute Care NP V: Mgmt/Care of Clients in Acute, Critical Care, Med or Surg Settings||5.0|
- Master of Science in Nursing from program fully accredited by National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN.) The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- GPA of at least 3.0
- Current, unrestricted United States RN license
- Two years of current bedside acute care nursing experience. Critical care experience is preferred. Examples include, but are not limited to: ICU, CCU, ER, trauma, and high acuity step down units.
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former nursing faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill and potential aptitude for graduate study
- References will not be accepted from colleagues or family members
- Personal statement (800 to 1,600 words) that will give the admissions committee a better understanding of:
- Why you are choosing this particular track
- How your current work experience will enhance your experience in this program, and
- Your plans upon completing the degree
- Resume including specific details of your responsibilities and job experiences
- A copy of your United States RN license(s) (License verification from your nursing license registry website is acceptable)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1026 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1140 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2019-2020 Academic Year
September 23, 2019
December 7, 2019
December 9, 2019
December 14, 2019
January 6, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 21, 2020
April 6, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 9, 2020
June 13, 2020
June 22, 2020
August 30, 2020
September 2, 2020
September 5, 2020
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 4, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021