MSN Pediatric Primary Care and Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Dual Option)
The accredited online MSN Pediatric Primary Care and Pediatric Acute Care dual nurse practitioner program prepares nurses for advanced roles as clinicians, educators, researchers, and leaders in pediatric health and wellness. Students will also become experts in delivering care to infants, children, and adolescents with acute and complex health disorders. This elite MSN was developed and is taught by Drexel University’s renowned faculty from the nationally ranked College of Nursing and Health Professionals.
The program's curriculum emphasizes evidence-based practice, interdisciplinary collaboration, and the critical use of new technology. Nurse practitioners specializing in pediatric primary and acute care will be able to meet the health care needs required by children and families with acute, complex care with a promotion of optimal wellness.
- Ranked #41 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #16 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report
- The master's degree in nursing at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Courses taught by experienced and board certified faculty from Drexel’s acclaimed College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Access to CNHP’s state-of-the-art patient simulation lab
- Graduates of the dual option program are eligible for the Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certification exam through ANCC or PNCB. The Acute Care Pediatric Certification exam is offered through the PNCB.
- Synchronous online lectures offer a highly interactive learning format that challenges and engages students
The nurse practitioner programs in the Department of Advanced Practice Nursing at Drexel University provide you the flexibility of finding and coordinating your own clinical site and preceptor. The department also offers resources to assist you in this process. Accessibility to clinical sites and preceptors varies from state to state, and you may be required to travel to access clinical sites/preceptors and achieve the necessary clinical hours.
This high-quality program demands a major commitment of time, including multiple on-campus visits that are essential for transition into the NP role. You’ll participate in the following mandatory On-Campus Intensives:
- NURS 642 PNP I - Summer Virtual Simulation Experience (1 day)
- NURS 643 PNP II - Fall Simulation Experience (5 days)
Online Open Houses
Learn more about this and other nursing programs from our previously recorded online open house webinar series.
Questions? We're here to help!
College of Nursing and Health Professions Program Team
Online Nurse Practitioner programs are offered only on a part-time basis.
Drexel University offers a variety of Graduate Minors that can be added to any master's degree program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
The MSN Pediatric Primary Care and Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Dual Option) program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|NURS 500||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Health Care Environments||3.0|
|NURS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Health Care||3.0|
|NURS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|NURS 548||Advanced Pathophysiology||3.0|
|NURS 549||Advanced Pharmacology||3.0|
|NURS 550||Advanced Clinical Assessment & Diagnostic Reasoning||4.0|
|NURS 646||Pharmacology for the Pediatric Nurse Practitioner||3.0|
|NURS 664||Professional Issues for Nurse Practitioners||1.0|
|NURS 642||PNP I: Primary Care of Infants, Children and Adolescents||5.0|
|NURS 643||PNP II: Episodic Care of Infants, Children and Adolescents in Primary Care||5.0|
|NURS 647||PNP III: Management and Care of Adolescents in the Primary Care Setting||5.0|
|NURS 649||Ped Nurse Pract AC I: Acute-Chronic Care of Infants, Children and Adolescents Management||5.0|
|NURS 650||Ped Nurse Pract AC II: Acute-Chronic Care of Infants, Children and Adolescents Management||5.0|
|NURS 651||PNP Management of the Medically Fragile and Technology Dependent Child in the Community||5.0|
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from program fully accredited by National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN.) The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above from your BSN
- A minimum of one year nursing experience in a pediatric acute care setting
- A current, unrestricted United States RN license
- Current PALS certification
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former nursing faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill and potential aptitude for graduate study
- References will not be accepted from colleagues or family members
- Personal statement (under 1,000 words) that will give the admissions committee a better understanding of:
- Why you are choosing this particular program of study,
- Your plans upon completion of the graduate degree, and
- How your current work experience will enhance your experience in this MSN program
- Resume including specific details of your responsibilities and job experiences
- A copy of your United States RN license (License verification from your nursing license registry website is acceptable)
- A copy of your current PALS certification
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $1037 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1152 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
At Drexel, we understand that developing a plan to finance your education is a critical step in your decision-making process. That's why we encourage students who require financial aid to fill out the FAFSA as early in the application process as possible. Learn more about Drexel's financial aid policies. In addition, nursing students are encouraged to visit the AACN to review the many scholarship opportunities that exist through the organization.
2022-2023 Academic Year
September 19, 2022
December 3, 2022
December 5, 2022
December 10, 2022
January 9, 2023
March 18, 2023
March 20, 2023
March 25, 2023
April 3, 2023
June 10, 2023
June 12, 2023
June 17, 2023
June 26, 2023
September 2, 2023
September 4, 2023
September 9, 2023
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 21, 2022
August 29, 2022
August 30, 2022
September 3, 2022
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.