MSN Women's Health/Gender Related Nurse Practitioner
The accredited online MSN Women's Health/Gender Related Nurse Practitioner program supplies nurses with the skills necessary to provide advanced care to women and their partners throughout the lifespan with a specialized emphasis on reproductive and gynecologic health needs. Upon graduation, you'll be qualified to provide a myriad of gender related services focusing on health promotion and disease prevention that range from well-woman care, prenatal and postpartum care, and common and complex women’s health issues in both primary settings and women's health specialty practices.
The program prepares nurses for roles as advanced-practice clinicians, educators, researchers, and leaders in a collaborative and multi-disciplinary healthcare environment. It was designed to embrace the competencies and skill sets required for today's versatile nurse practitioner as medical knowledge expands, healthcare systems evolve and technology advances in response to health care needs and evidence-based research.
- Ranked #41 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #16 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report
- The master's degree in nursing at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Synchronous online lectures offer a highly-interactive learning format that challenges and engages
- An experienced and board certified faculty from Drexel’s acclaimed College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Upon completion of the program, you're eligible for Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Certification through the National Certification Corporation (NCC)
This high-quality program demands a major commitment of time, including multiple on-campus visits that are essential for transition into the NP role. You’ll participate in the following mandatory On-Campus Intensives:
- NURS 690 WHNP I - Summer Simulation Experience (3 days)
- NURS 691 WHNP II - Fall Simulation Experience (3 days)
- NURS 693 WHNP IV - Spring Simulation Experience (3 days)
During the On-Campus Intensives, you'll engage in simulated clinical learning experiences conducted in the College of Nursing and Health Professions' state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary patient simulation lab. These visits provide direct guidance and mentoring from faculty, as well as the opportunity to collaborate with peers.
Pennsylvania RN licensure is required prior to the start of your clinical components. While this is not a requirement for admission, we recommend starting the process immediately after admission.
The nurse practitioner programs in the Department of Advanced Practice Nursing at Drexel University provide you the flexibility of finding and coordinating your own clinical site and preceptor. The department also offers resources to assist you in this process. Accessibility to clinical sites and preceptors varies from state to state, and you may be required to travel to access clinical sites/preceptors and achieve the necessary clinical hours.
Drexel's 10,000 Hours Podcast: Kymberlee Montgomery
Not all healthcare is created equal, especially if you’re a woman. Kymberlee Montgomery, an associate clinical professor of nursing and medicine at Drexel University, explains to us the biggest health issues facing women today.
Online Open Houses
Learn more about this and other nursing programs from our previously recorded online open house webinar series.
Questions? We're here to help!
For application related questions:
For program related questions:
College of Nursing and Health Professions Program Team
Online Nurse Practitioner programs are offered only on a part-time basis.
Drexel University offers a variety of Graduate Minors that can be added to any master's degree program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
The MSN Women's Health/Gender Related Nurse Practitioner program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|NURS 500||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Health Care Environments||3.0|
|NURS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Health Care||3.0|
|NURS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|NURS 548||Advanced Pathophysiology||3.0|
|NURS 549||Advanced Pharmacology||3.0|
|NURS 550||Advanced Clinical Assessment & Diagnostic Reasoning||4.0|
|NURS 664||Professional Issues for Nurse Practitioners||1.0|
|NURS 680||Primary Care for Women’s Health||3.0|
|NURS 682||Pharmacology for the Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner||3.0|
|Clinical Concentration Courses|
|NURS 690||WHNP I: Management & Care of the Common Gyn and Gender Related Issues throughout the Lifespan||5.0|
|NURS 691||WHNP II: Management & Care of the Complex Gyn and Gender Related Issues of Women throughout the Lifespan||5.0|
|NURS 692||WHNP III: Management & Care of the Low Risk Obstetrical and Post Partum Needs of Women and Families||5.0|
|NURS 693||WHNP IV: Management & Care of the High Risk Obstetrical and Post Partum Needs of Women and Families||5.0|
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from program fully accredited by National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN.) The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above from your BSN
- A current, unrestricted United States RN license
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former nursing faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill and potential aptitude for graduate study
- References will not be accepted from colleagues or family members
- Personal statement (under 1,000 words) that will give the admissions committee a better understanding of:
- Why you are choosing this particular program of study,
- Your plans upon completion of the graduate degree, and
- How your current work experience will enhance your experience in this MSN program
- Resume including specific details of your responsibilities and job experiences
- A copy of your United States RN license (License verification from your nursing license registry website is acceptable)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2022-2023 is $1069 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1187 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2022-2023 Academic Year
September 19, 2022
December 3, 2022
December 5, 2022
December 10, 2022
January 9, 2023
March 18, 2023
March 20, 2023
March 25, 2023
April 3, 2023
June 10, 2023
June 12, 2023
June 17, 2023
June 26, 2023
September 2, 2023
September 4, 2023
September 9, 2023
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.