Certificate in Drug Discovery and Development
Drexel University’s online Certificate in Drug Discovery and Development program is designed to provide in-depth exposure to the complex elements involved in drug discovery and development and help you establish and maintain an enduring and productive career within the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry. Two required courses cover multiple aspects of the drug discovery and development process, ranging from the identification and validation of drug targets through to regulatory approval and commercialization of the product. You can then customize your curriculum by selecting from an extensive list of elective courses that provide more specialized training in different disciplines like biomedical science, regulatory affairs, clinical research, product development, or pharmaceutical management.
The online Certificate in Drug Discovery and Development is available to those who have already obtained a BS or BA degree in the biomedical, chemical, or health-related fields and seek industry-focused training. This includes professionals who want to:
- Broaden their base of information about drug discovery and development
- Transition into the industry
- Increase their opportunities for career advancement
All credits earned for the Certificate in Drug Discovery and Development may be applied to the MS in Drug Discovery and Development program.
Upon graduation, you will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental scientific principles that guide the development of novel therapeutics
- Recognize and evaluate the contributions of representatives from different disciplines, organizations, and agencies involved in advancing a candidate molecule from the laboratory to the market
- Evaluate the properties of a candidate molecule, assess its therapeutic potential, identify key strengths and weaknesses, and recommend remedies to overcome limitations
- Exhibit sound ethical principles and work independently or in diverse groups
- Synthesize information from multiple and diverse sources to identify the most fruitful plan of action
- Communicate technical information clearly and effectively—in both written and oral form—to scientific and non-scientific audiences
Drexel's 10,000 Hours Podcast: I Want a New Drug
There seems to be a million kinds of medicine in your local pharmacy. But what does it take to get a drug to market? Drexel professor Richard Mangano explains the drug discovery and development process, and why some drugs get funded – and some don’t.
For questions, please contact:
Dr. Paul McGonigle
Professor and Director
Dr. Joanne Mathiasen
Professor and Co-Director
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
|Drug Discovery and Development I **
|Drug Discovery and Development II **
|Ethical Issues in Research **
|Business Processes and Contemporary Concerns in Pharmaceutical R & D **
|World Wide Regulatory Submissions **
|Intro to Clinical Trials **
|Applications of Clinical Research Biostatistics **
|Scientific Writing and Medical Literature **
|Current Federal Regulatory Issues in Biomedical Research **
|Pharmaceutical Law **
|Leadership Skills **
|Compliance & Monitoring Issues **
|Principles and Practice of Pharmacovigilance **
|Designing the Clinical Trial **
|Innovative Product Development **
|Fundamentals of Compliance **
|Introduction to Clinical Pharmacology **
|Informatics in Pharm Res & Development **
|Regulatory, Scientific and Social Issues Affecting Biotech Research **
|Health Policy and Economics **
|Strategic Planning **
|Special Topics in Clinical Research
|Responsible Conduct of Research
|Immunology I **
|Biotechniques I: Molecular and Genomic Methods *
|Vaccines and Vaccine Development *
|Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine I *
|Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine II *
|Animal Models for Biomedical Research
|Statistics for Neuro/Pharm Research
|Graduate Neuroscience I
|Current Topics in Pharmacology & Physiology
|Pharm & Phys 1st Lab Rotation
|Principles of Neuropharmacology
|Graduate Pharmacology *
|Advanced Topics in Physiology
|Advanced Topics in Pharmacology
|New Frontiers in Therapy
|Methods in Biomedical Research
|Internship in Drug Discovery and Development
|Intensive Internship in Drug Discovery and Development
|Current Topics in Drug Discovery and Development **
|Research in Drug Discovery and Development
*Courses that are not listed above may be taken as electives only with the approval of the program director
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution
- Cumulative GPA of 2.8 (graduate degree GPAs will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals or former instructors
- Essay of approximately 500 words explaining:
- Your reasons for pursuing a degree from Drexel
- Your short-term and long-term career plans
- How your background, experience, interests and/or values, when combined with a Drexel degree, will enable you to pursue these goals successfully
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2023-2024 is $1305 per credit.
For the academic year 2023-2024, students enrolled in an online graduate academic program will be charged a graduate online program fee of $125 per year.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2023-2024 Academic Year
August 21, 2023
December 15, 2023
January 8, 2024
May 3, 2024
May 13, 2024
August 2, 2024