Online Master’s in Clinical Research Management, Organization, & Administration
MS in Clinical Research Organization and Management
Drexel University’s nationally ranked College of Medicine offers an accredited online Master’s in Clinical Research Organization and Management degree program. Taught by industry experts, this Master’s in Clinical Research is tailored for experienced research professionals seeking credentials and clinical management skills.
Program at a Glance
- Semester Credits: 36 credits
- Average Completion Time: 2 to 3 years
- You may take up to 7 years to complete the program
- No thesis, on-campus, or residency requirements
- No application fee
- Courses are led by distinguished researchers, administrators, lawyers, and scientists with extensive experience in clinical research
- Flexible course plans cater to your career goals
- Well-rounded, accredited curriculum which combines seven tracks of study
- Management training covers key organizational and administrative skills for high-level professionals
- Uses a simple, easy-to-use interactive online format that caters to active and at-work clinical researchers
What is a Clinical Research Management Graduate Program?
The online Master’s in Clinical Research Organization and Management degree is a 36-semester credit (12 course) non-thesis fully online program. Organized into seven areas of clinical research study, you will have the opportunity to expand your clinical research and related administrative and regulatory knowledge. Yet, unlike most clinical research graduate programs, there is no fixed curriculum. Instead, you'll work with your advisor to customize a relevant course plan to meet your specific career goals.
Master’s in Clinical Research Organization AND Management Program Requirements: Areas of Study
- New Product Research and Development
- Compliance and Safety Surveillance
- Ethics and Law
- Regulatory Affairs
- Biostatistics and Data Management
- Clinical Research Management
- New Therapeutic Product Business and Strategic Planning
What Will I Learn?
Clinical Research is a branch of healthcare science. It studies the safety and efficacy of a wide array of items used by humans to prevent, treat, diagnose, or relieve symptoms of a disease. As a result, clinical researchers may test things such as medications, devices, diagnostic products, and treatment regimens.
The biomedical, pharmaceutical, defense, medical device, and diagnostic industries need highly-trained professionals capable of overseeing a broad range of research projects. Drexel’s Master’s in Clinical Research program can help you develop an advanced skill set to manage the conduct of clinical investigations, while introducing you to relevant business, legal, and ethical issues.
There are no standard required courses for the online MS in Clinical Research Organization and Management program. You’ll be able to choose from courses that are essential and will help you to develop as a broadly-educated and well-prepared professional. At the same time, you’ll be ready to thrive in clinical research and new therapeutic product investigation. You may take courses in:
- A preferred area of study
- A cross-section of courses within other areas of study
- Any other clinical research online courses being offered
Learn from the Best – Faculty Spotlight
Professors like Dennis Salotti provide guidance and expertise to students at all phases of the program.
Depending on your plan of study, you’ll complete your Master’s Degree in Clinical Research Organization and Management at Drexel with essential skills and knowledge such as:
- Be able to successfully apply research frameworks and philosophies to clinical trials management
- Understand how to employ quality principles of current good clinical practices to produce valid and useful data
- Make use of current statistical knowledge and methods in the design, implementation, conduct, and assessment of clinical trial management
- Know how to ensure sound ethical principles and values are always recognized and upheld in research
Will this program prepare me for ACRP and SOCRA certification?
Drexel’s clinical research master’s degree program can help in your preparation for the ACRP or SOCRA certification. To be ACRP certified, a Clinical Research Associate is expected to have proficiency in the six (6) main content areas of clinical research:
Percentage of Items on Exam
Scientific Concepts and Research Design
Ethical and Participant Safety Considerations
Product Development and Regulation
Clinical Trial Operations (GCPs)
Study and Site Management
Data Management and Informatics
Since we offer courses that cover these six content areas, you can attain the knowledge necessary to be eligible to sit for ACRP or SOCRA certification. That stated, our program intentionally does not have a core set of required courses. So, if sitting for this exam is your goal, we can help you to map out a suitable study plan.
What Can I Do with a Clinical Research Master’s Degree?
Graduates of our online clinical research master’s degree program may pursue a variety of career paths and job titles within the wider pharmaceutical, research and development industries. To enter the field, some jobs may require a bachelor’s degree, though a master’s degree with a focus in clinical research administration may be preferable. Students planning a career as medical scientists often need either a Ph.D. or medical degree.
By today’s standards, clinical research management is a fast-growing field. Clinical Data Managers (CDMs) apply their knowledge of healthcare and databases to analyze clinical data. They work to ensure the testing of new medical drugs and products are ethical, compliant, and adhere to protocols.
Other reported clinical research job titles include: Clinical Program Coordinator, Clinical Program Manager, Clinical Research Administrator, Clinical Research Associate (CRA), Clinical Research Coordinator, Clinical Research Manager, Clinical Research Nurse Coordinator, Clinical Trial Coordinator, Clinical Trial Manager, and Research Coordinator.
The chart below outlines some of the recent clinical research–related workforce data. Most individuals work in the Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services Sector which requires a high degree of expertise and training.
Potential Candidates in the Workforce
Direct Employers Currently Competing
Open Jobs Posted by Direct Employers
Average Posting Duration
Clinical Research Coordinator
Clinical Research Associate
How Long Does it Take to Earn a Master’s in Clinical Research?
On average, you can complete the online MS in Clinical Research Organization and Management degree program in 2 to 3 years.
How Much Do Clinical Research Managers Make?
Recent reports show that Clinical Data Managers earned an average annual salary of $84,060. However, salaries can fluctuate for a number of reasons. These include a candidate’s experience, education level, job title, and location.
The chart below shows several clinical research career paths and salary averages for 2017.
Median Annual Salary
Clinical Research Coordinator
Clinical Data Manager
Clinical Trials Manager
Clinical Research Associate (CRA)
- How Technology is Changing Clinical Research - June 2019
Drexel University offers several other online clinical research master’s and certificate programs designed to match your career goals:
- MS in Clinical Research for Health Professionals
- Certificate of Study in Clinical Research
- Quantitative Principles for Clinical Research Certificate
If you have questions, please contact:
The Master of Science in Clinical Research Organization and Management program consists of 12 courses (36 credits.) Any courses offered by the Clinical Research Organization Management program may be applied to fulfill the requirements of this major. No master's thesis is required.
The program is organized into seven areas of study devoted to clinical research and related administrative and regulatory issues. You may take courses within your preferred area of study, a cross-section of courses within other areas of study, or any other Clinical Research (CR) courses being offered.
Learn more about how Drexel's courses align with the competency domains identified by the Joint Taskforce for Clinical Trial Competency.
|New Product Research and Development|
|Intro to Clinical Trials||3.0|
|Scientific Writing and Medical Literature||3.0|
|Designing the Clinical Trial||3.0|
|Innovative Product Development||3.0|
|Introduction to Clinical Pharmacology||3.0|
|Regulatory, Scientific, and Social Issues Affecting Biotech Research||3.0|
|Compliance and Safety Surveillance|
|Compliance & Monitoring Issues||3.0|
|Principles and Practice of Pharmacovigilance||3.0|
|Fundamentals of Compliance||3.0|
|Quaility Assurance Audits||3.0|
|Ethics and Law|
|Ethical Issues in Research||3.0|
|The History of Misconduct in Biomedical Research||3.0|
|Contemporary Issues in Human Research Protection||3.0|
|Emerging Trends in Medical Device Regulations||3.0|
|Medical Devices and Combination Products||3.0|
|World Wide Regulatory Submissions||3.0|
|Current Issues in Review Boards||3.0|
|Current Federal Regulatory Issues in Biomedical Research||3.0|
|International Regulatory Affairs||3.0|
|Biostatistics and Data Management|
|Applications of Clinical Research Biostatistics||3.0|
|Clinical Data Management||3.0|
|Applications of Clinical Research Biostatistics II||3.0|
|Clinical Research Management|
|Sponsored Projects Finance||3.0|
|Fundamentals of Academic Research Administration||3.0|
|Clinical Project Management||3.0|
|Patient Recruitment & Informed Consent||3.0|
|New Therapeutic Product Business and Strategic Planning|
|Business Processes and Contemporary Concerns in Pharmaceutical R & D||3.0|
|Clinical Trial Budgeting||3.0|
|Informatics in Pharm Res & Development||3.0|
|Health Policy and Economics||3.0|
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 is preferred (graduate degree GPAs will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
- Those with a lower GPA are encouraged to apply, but should address their academic performance in their essay and ensure that relevant professional experience is included on their resume for evaluation
- At least two years of relevant professional experience
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- One from your immediate supervisor and one from another qualified individual (not a peer) who can comment on your ability to succeed in the program
- Essay on past successes, goals and objectives for seeking the degree
- Additional requirements for International Students
A telephone interview may be required as part of the admission process
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1200 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2020-2021 Academic Year
August 17, 2020
December 11, 2020
January 4, 2021
April 30, 2021
May 10, 2021
July 30, 2021
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.