Instructional Technology Specialist Certificate
The nation's schools require educators who understand technology and know how to use it in the classroom. The instructional technology specialist position is an emerging, high-potential role in the K-12 school environment. Drexel's accredited online program qualifies you for state certification and provides a pathway for continued study in the MS in Learning Technologies.
Upon completion of the certificate program, you will be able to plan and run the technology components within a School/District; and conduct professional development and training for effective implementation and use of technology directly in the classroom.
The Instructional Technology Specialist certificate is available to those who currently possess a PA Instructional I or II teaching certificate. If you wish to obtain the ITS Certificate but do not possess a teaching certificate, you may still apply but are required to successfully complete additional coursework.
- A flexible, completely online program that fits easily into your busy work and personal schedule
- An innovative curriculum that prepares experts in instructional technology for the K-12 school environment
- Developed and taught by the nationally recognized faculty of Drexel University’s School of Education
- Drexel is ranked as one of "America’s Best Graduate Schools" preparing today’s educators by U.S.News & World Report, and among the "Top-25 STEM Schools of 2018" by Forbes
- A highly interactive online learning method allows extensive interaction with faculty and other classmates
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDEX 542||Fundamentals of Special Education||3.0|
|EDEX 544||The Inclusive Classroom||3.0|
|EDLT 512||Using and Integrating Learning Technologies||3.0|
|EDLT 533||Designing Virtual Communities||3.0|
|EDLT 537||Technologies for Performance Support||3.0|
|EDLT 551||Instructional Design Methods||3.0|
|EDLT 552||Instructional Design: Project Management||3.0|
|EDUC 565||Foundations in Instructing English Language Learners||3.0|
|ELL 504||Learning Technologies & Disabilities||3.0|
|Additional required courses for candidates without prior teacher certification:||0.0-6.0|
|Design for Learning with Digital Media|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Students with a GPA under 3.0 will be considered on a case by case basis
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Personal Statement (500 - 750 words) describing your interest in the program. Specifically:
- How the program relates to your previous educational and professional activities
- If changing course, why you are moving in this new direction with your educational goals
- How the program relates to your current line of work
- How you plan to apply the program to your future goals
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $1017 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1355 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 20, 2022
August 27, 2022
August 29, 2022
September 3, 2022
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.