Online Master’s Degree in Educational Technology
MS in Learning Technologies
Drexel University’s online MS in Educational Technology is a modern look at how technology and education interact with and support each other. Perfect for those interested in game-based learning, instructional design, technology leadership, and more, the curriculum focuses on key tenets of educational technology and design, preparing you for technology careers within and beyond the education sector or for graduate study. You’ll learn under the guidance of School of Education faculty members who are recognized scholars and practitioners in the field, and the curriculum can be tailored to your specific needs and career goals.
What is a Master’s Degree in Learning Technologies?
The MS in Learning Technologies has a strong foundation in theory, practice, and research related to the core themes of the program:
- The Learning Sciences
- Instructional Design & Development
- Online & Mobile Learning
- Site-Based, Online, and Mobile Technologies
- Game-Based Learning
- Educational Technology Leadership
You'll take courses in a variety of areas related to educational technology, including Using and Integrating Education Technologies, The Learning Sciences, and Instructional Design Methods.
Throughout the master’s in educational technology online program, you'll have many opportunities for experiential learning. These provide the experience of designing and deploying your own innovative technology applications for a wide range of settings.
MS in Learning Technologies Program Features
- The MS in Learning Technologies program at Drexel is fully online and was developed with working professionals in mind
- You'll take classes with faculty who are internationally-renowned for their contributions in the field and skilled in online learning
- Drexel’s School of Education is ranked as one of America’s Best Graduate Education Programs by U.S. News & World Report, and among the "Top-25 STEM Schools of 2018" by Forbes
How Long Does it Take to Earn a Master’s in Learning Technologies?
The online MS in Learning Technologies is a 45-credit part-time program. The 15 courses are each 10-weeks in length. Those who take two courses per term can complete the program in two years.
What Jobs Can You Get with a Master’s in Educational Technology?
A Master’s in Educational Technology may help you launch or advance a career in some fast-growing fields in a wide range of industries. Job titles commonly held by education technology graduates include:
- Corporate Training Director
- Curriculum and Assessment Director
- Director of Integrated Technology
- Director of Web Content Management
- Education Technology Consultant
- Learning Development Specialist
- Game-Based Learning Designer or Consultant
- Instructional Designer
- Multimedia Developer
- School Based Education Technology Leader
What are the Salary Expectations for a Graduate with a Degree in Learning Technologies?
Graduates of the Master’s in Learning Technologies program can work in a wide range of settings, including K-12 schools, colleges, and universities as well as both large and small corporations and non-profits. Some job titles and median salaries for positions related to educational technology may include:
Median Annual Salary (2018)
Instructional Coordinator, Director, Specialist
Training and Development Manager
Training and Development Specialist
Senior Game Designer, Lead Level Designer
IT Manager, Application Development Director
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
Archived Webinars and Podcasts
- Creating a Positive Collaborative Relationship Between the Subject Matter Expert and the Instructional Design Team
- Designing for Children: Introduction to Key Principles and Application to New Media
- Learning Technologies and Creativity & Innovation Programs
- Pivotal Pedagogy: Higher Education Teaching and Instructional Design in the New Normal
Drexel's 10,000 Hours Podcast: Your Homework is in Another Castle
Okay, so playing Super Mario Bros. may not help you pass your class. But Aroutis Foster is using his research in Drexel’s GLIDE lab to bring gaming into the educational space. Wouldn’t learning have been more fun growing up if you had video games and AI in the classroom?
Drexel University is nationally recognized for its strengths in technology and the sciences. We offer a range of online programs that may line up with your interests:
- Graduate Certificate in Creativity and Innovation
- Graduate Certificate in K-12 Virtual School Leadership
- Instructional Technology Specialist Certificate
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDCR 512||Using and Integrating Learning Technologies||3.0|
|EDLT 503||The Learning Sciences||3.0|
|EDLT 537||Technologies for Performance Support||3.0|
|EDLT 541||Foundations of Game-Based Learning||3.0|
|EDLT 543||Play & Learning in a Participatory Culture||3.0|
|EDLT 551||Instructional Design Methods||3.0|
|EDLT 552||Instructional Design: Project Management||3.0|
|EDLT 553||Instructional Design: Special Topics||3.0|
|EDLT 554||Learning with Social Media and Mobiles||3.0|
|EDLT 561||Design-Based Research Methods||3.0|
|ELL 501||The Purpose and Business of e-Learning||3.0|
|ELL 504||Learning Technologies & Disabilities||3.0|
|EDU 780||Capstone Research|
|Select from one of the following Capstone Tracks:|
|EDUP 780||Practitioner Capstone Course I|
|EDUP 781||Practitioner Capstone Course II|
|EDUT 780||Thesis Capstone Course I|
|EDUT 781||Thesis Capstone Course II|
|Lesson Study Track|
|EDUL 780||Lesson Study Capstone Course I|
|EDUL 781||Lesson Study Capstone Course II|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate degree GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
- Provisional admission may be granted if your GPA is below 3.0
- An admissions interview is required for a GPA below 2.75
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement (500 - 750 words) describing your interest in the program. Specifically:
- How the program relates to your previous educational and professional activities
- If changing course, why you are moving in this new direction with your educational goals
- How the program relates to your current line of work
- How you plan to apply the program to your future goals
- Current Resume
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $1017 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1355 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 20, 2022
August 27, 2022
August 29, 2022
September 3, 2022
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.