Online MS in Teaching: Dual Certification in Secondary & Special Education
MS in Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum: Dual Certification Track - Secondary Subject Areas with Special Education
Drexel University’s online MS in Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum: Dual Certification helps prepare you for certification in both secondary education and special education, all while earning your master’s degree. Graduates are equipped to manage diverse learning styles and to utilize the latest assessment tools to develop, analyze, implement, and evaluate instructional strategies.
What is an MS in Teaching, Learning, & Curriculum Dual Certification in Secondary & Special Education?
Drexel’s dual certification combines elements of the MS in Special Education and the MS in Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum: Teacher Certification Track – Secondary Education to help you excel in both areas. The program prepares you for initial Instructional I Certification and Instructional II (7-12) Special Education Certification. Courses focus on foundational pedagogy, specialized lessons for your subject area, and how to meet the needs of students with disabilities. Field experience and student teaching ensure that when you enter your own classroom, you’ll feel comfortable and ready to lead.
- The program prepares you to obtain a Pennsylvania Instructional I Certificate and Pennsylvania Instructional II Special Education 7-12 Certification – through Interstate Reciprocity Agreements, you can become certified to teach in almost any state.
- 270 hours of field experience and a 12-week student teaching experience will provide you with the experience needed to enter your own classroom with confidence.
- Drexel’s field placement office works with you to secure appropriate school placements, no matter where you’re based.
- While in the program you will receive help with resumes and networking, including interviewing and job placement opportunities. Once you graduate, you’ll have access to two years of post-program support including classroom-based coaching, professional development programs, and notifications of job openings.
Teacher Certification Secondary Subject Areas
For the Instructional I Teaching Certificate, you will select from one of the following concentration areas:
- Earth and Space Science
- General Science
- Social Studies
- Teacher Certification Programs Virtual Q&A
Thursday, July 15th | 12-1 PM ET
- How to Become a Certified Teacher
- Teaching, Learning, & Curriculum, Reading Specialist, and TESL Programs
What are the Salary Expectations for Graduates with an MS in Teaching, Learning, & Curriculum Dual Certification in Secondary & Special Education?
Teachers’ salaries can vary widely due to a number of factors – location, level of education, subject, etc. Here are some median salaries for educators:
2017 Median National Salaries*
High School Teacher
Middle School Teacher
Special Education Teacher
*Data from Bureau of Labor Statistics
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDEX 536||Special Education Processes PK-12||3.0|
|EDEX 542||Fundamentals of Special Education||3.0|
|EDEX 543||Emotional and Behavioral Support of Individuals with Disabilities (Field Experience Required)||3.0|
|EDEX 544||The Inclusive Classroom (Field Experience Required)||3.0|
|EDEX 549||Teaching Individuals with High Incident Disabilities (Field Experience Required)||3.0|
|EDEX 550||Teaching Individuals with Low Incident Disabilities (Field Experience Required)||3.0|
|EDEX 552||Integrating Technology for Learning & Achievement (Field Experience Required)||3.0|
|EDEX 555||Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (Field Experience Required)||3.0|
|EDEX 565||Teaching Secondary Mathematics in an Inclusive Environment (Field Experience Required)||3.0|
|EDEX 568||Literacy and Content Skill Development PK-12||3.0|
|EDEX 578||Special Education Practicum PK-12||3.0|
|EDEX 588||Implementing Academic Interventions in Inclusive Educational Environments||3.0|
|EDUC 515||Adolescent Learners in Secondary Schools (Field Experience Required)||3.0|
|EDUC 522||Evaluation of Instruction||3.0|
|EDUC 565||Foundations in Instructing English Language Learners||3.0|
|EDUC 565||Foundations in Instructing English Language Learners||3.0|
|EDUC 540||Field Experience (12 week Student Teaching experience required)||3.0|
Select appropriate methods course (including a school-based field component) matching your desired area of certification:
|EDUC 514||Science Teaching Methods (Stage III Pre Student Teaching Required)||3.0|
|MTED 519||Teaching Secondary Mathematics|
|EDUC 556||Secondary Social Studies Methods (7-12)|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate degree GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA),
- If you're pursuing Teacher Education Certification, you must meet the PA State content course requirements for your specific area of certification
- Content course reviews are conducted at time of application
- Coursework missing from your undergraduate background or below the minimum 3.0 GPA cumulative average may be taken concurrently with the graduate program
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1007 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1342 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 11, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.