MS in Quality, Safety, and Risk Management in Healthcare
MS in Quality, Safety, and Risk Management in Healthcare
Drexel University's online MS in Quality, Safety, and Risk Management in Healthcare prepares you to lead organizational efforts that improve and monitor quality metrics, improve safety for both patients and staff, and manage risks in a dynamic healthcare environment.
This interdisciplinary patient safety and healthcare quality master's program is designed for healthcare professionals seeking to develop essential competencies to assess, monitor, and improve healthcare outcomes in community-based care delivery settings, hospitals, and other healthcare organizations.
- Designed for those interested in a career that will impact quality, safety and risk management in the healthcare industry
- Taught by faculty who are current practicing experts in the fields of law, quality, patient safety, and risk management
- Interdisciplinary structure, offering the opportunity to learn and work collaboratively as you would in practice
- 100% online with no on-campus residency requirement
- Learn through realistic virtual simulation experiences through a partnership with faculty from Drexel’s state-of-the-art simulation center
- Three-year tuition lock for those who complete the program within 3 years
- Certified by The Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME). CAHME serves the public by advancing the quality of healthcare management education globally. CAHME is an interdisciplinary group of educational, professional, clinical, and other health sector organizations devoted to quality improvement of education for healthcare management and administration professionals.
What is an MS in Healthcare Quality Improvement & Safety?
Drexel’s online masters in healthcare quality improvement program will prepare you to apply a legal and ethical framework of healthcare deliver to help further the role of the quality, safety and risk management professional in the healthcare system. Upon graduation, you will be able to demonstrate critical thinking and diagnostic reasoning skills in decision making and leadership skills in the development of outcome-based standards of care and practice-based health policy issues. While integrating multiple technologies and relevant theories into the organization, you will have the ability to synthesize health data to care patients, families, and communities. In addition, you will learn to evaluate and modify the quality and effectiveness of care based on current research findings, standards of care, and patient outcomes.
What can You Do with a Master’s of Healthcare Quality Improvement?
Quality assurance, risk management, and patient safety are some of the most critical areas of focus in healthcare. Earning your master’s degree in healthcare quality will help prepare you for these types of jobs within hospitals, clinical settings, insurance companies, government agencies, and other healthcare related roles. After earning your degree, your newfound knowledge and skills may prepare you to pursue some of the following types of jobs:
- Associate Director of Operations, Quality and Patient Safety
- Director of Patient and Family Experience
- Director of Quality and Patient Safety
- Healthcare Quality Analyst
- Manager, Healthcare Risk Management
Upon completion of this program, you will have gained the skills necessary to:
- Apply a legal and ethical framework of health care delivery
- Further the role of the quality, safety, and risk management professional in the health care system through scholarship, clinical experience, and organizational involvement
- Demonstrate critical thinking and diagnostic reasoning skills in decision-making
- Integrate multiple technologies and relevant theories into the organization and synthesis of health data to care for patients, families, and communities
- Integrate culturally sensitive care that contributes to the health and wellness of the community
- Demonstrate leadership through the development of outcome-based standards of care and practice-based health policy issues
- Drive the quality and effectiveness of care based on current research findings, standards of care, and patient outcomes
- Contribute to the advancement of health care and humanity through communication, interprofessional collaboration, and education
Master’s of Healthcare Quality Salary Expectations
While salary can vary greatly by geographic location, position type, experience, and healthcare setting, the BLS suggests that professionals in the occupational health and safety specialists field are earning an average salary of $74,100. This drops to $51,550 for technician roles.
Online Open Houses
Learn more about this and other nursing programs from our previously recorded online open house webinar series.
Questions? We're here to help!
For application related questions:
For program related questions:
College of Nursing and Health Professions Program Team
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
Graduate students who utilize student loans (FAFSA) must maintain a minimum enrollment of 4.5 credits per term.
|IPS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Health Care||3.0|
|IPS 503||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Health Care Environments||3.0|
|IPS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|IPS 584||Analysis of Performance Standards in Healthcare Quality||3.0|
|IPS 585||Science of Safety, Human Factors, and System Thinking||3.0|
|IPS 587||Safety Culture in Healthcare||3.0|
|IPS 601||Quality, Safety and Risk Management Capstone||5.0|
|LSTU 551||Compliance Skills: Auditing, Investigation & Reporting||4.0|
|LSTU 600||Health Care Rules and Regulations||4.0|
|LSTU 601||Health Care Quality, Patient Safety and Risk Management||4.0|
|LSTU 602||Patients and Privacy: HIPAA and Related Regulations||4.0|
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- GPA of 3.0 or above on all previous coursework or last 60 credits completed
- Applications with a GPA of less than 3.0 may be considered on an individual basis
- While specific experience is not required, previous related work experience may make your application more competitive
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation from previous or current supervisors, managers, faculty members, or program directors who can attest to your knowledge, skill, and potential aptitude for graduate study
- Letters must include the address, phone number, and signature of your recommender
- Letters are waived for those with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Personal statement (no more than two pages and no less than one page double-spaced) that will give the admissions committee a better understanding of:
- Why you're choosing this program of study
- Your plans upon completion of the degree
- How your current work experience will enhance your experience in this program
- Copies of any licensure and certification documents
- Additional requirements for International Students
An admissions interview may be required
The tuition rate for the academic year 2023-2024 is $1101 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1223 per credit)
For the academic year 2023-2024, students enrolled in an online graduate academic program will be charged a graduate online program fee of $125 per year.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2023-2024 Academic Year
September 26, 2023
December 9, 2023
December 11, 2023
December 16, 2023
January 8, 2024
March 16, 2024
March 18, 2024
March 23, 2024
April 1, 2024
June 8, 2024
June 10, 2024
June 15, 2024
June 24, 2024
August 31, 2024
September 3, 2024
September 7, 2024