MSN in Healthcare Quality, Patient Safety, & Risk Management Online Degree
The MSN in Quality, Safety, and Risk Management in Healthcare provides nurses with the skills needed to lead organizational efforts that improve and monitor quality metrics, improve safety for both patients and staff, and manage risks in a dynamic healthcare and nursing environment.
This interdisciplinary patient safety and healthcare quality Master of Science in nursing program is designed for nurses seeking to develop essential competencies to assess, monitor, and improve healthcare outcomes in community-based care delivery settings, hospitals, and other healthcare organizations.
Upon graduation, you will be able to:
- Apply a legal and ethical framework of healthcare delivery
- Further the role of the quality, safety, and risk management professional in the healthcare system through scholarship, clinical experience, and organizational involvement
- Demonstrate critical thinking and diagnostic reasoning skills in decision-making
- Integrate multiple technologies and relevant theories into the organization and synthesis of health data to care for patients, families, and communities
- Demonstrate leadership through the development of outcome-based standards of care and practice-based health policy issues
- Evaluate and modify the quality and effectiveness of care based on current research findings, standards of care, and patient outcomes
- Contribute to the advancement of healthcare and humanity through communication, collaboration, and education
- Designed for nurses interested in a career that will impact quality, safety, and risk management in the healthcare industry
- Ranked #41 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #16 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report
- Faculty who are current practicing experts in the fields of nursing, law, quality, patient safety, and risk management
- Interdisciplinary structure, offering the opportunity to learn and work collaboratively as you would in practice
- A highly-interactive online learning method that challenges and engages while remaining convenient for working nurses
- Realistic virtual simulation experiences and a short on-campus experience in our state-of-the-art simulation labs, which allow you to apply principles learned throughout the program to realistic, high stakes, simulation activities
- Three-year tuition lock for those who complete the program within 3 years
Questions? We're here to help!
College of Nursing and Health Professions Program Team
Drexel University offers a variety of Graduate Minors that can be added to any master's degree program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
The MSN in Quality, Safety, and Risk Management in Healthcare program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
Graduate students who utilize student loans (FAFSA) muct maintain a minimum enrollment of 4.5 credits per term.
|MSN Core Courses|
|NURS 500||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Healthcare Environments||3.0|
|NURS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Healthcare||3.0|
|NURS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|IPS 501||Legal Compliance: Structure and Implementation||4.5|
|IPS 504||Regulations in Healthcare||4.5|
|IPS 505||Healthcare Quality and the Legal Context||4.5|
|IPS 506||HIPAA: A Patient’s Legal Right to Privacy||4.5|
|IPS 584||Analysis of Performance Standards in Healthcare Quality||3.0|
|IPS 585||Science of Safety, Human Factors, and Systems Thinking||3.0|
|IPS 586||Creating a Culture of Safety||2.0|
|IPS 601||Quality, Safety, and Risk Management Capstone||5.0|
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Your BSN must be from an institution accredited by the National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or the American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN). The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- Nurses with a non-nursing bachelor's may consider applying for the RN-BSN-MSN program to earn both a BSN and MSN concurrently, or apply to the RN to MSN Bridge Program.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
- If your GPA is lower, you're still encouraged to apply, but should ensure that relevant professional experience is included on your resume. You must also provide two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill, and potential aptitude for graduate study.
- While specific clinical work and/or volunteer experience is not required, it may make your application more competitive
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Personal statement describing your interest in the program and particular specialty
- Copy of your current U.S. Registered Nurse license
- Additional requirements for International Students
An admissions interview may be required
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1026 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1140 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 4, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021