MSN in Healthcare Quality, Patient Safety, and Risk Management Online Degree
MSN in Quality, Safety, and Risk Management in Healthcare
Drexel’s online MSN in Quality, Safety, and Risk Management in Healthcare program draws from multiple disciplines. It’s ideal for working nurses who want to improve patient outcomes, reduce mortality rates, and create positive change in patient care.
The interdisciplinary patient safety and healthcare quality Master of Science in nursing program focuses on helping you build key competencies. You’ll learn how to enhance and monitor quality metrics, further safety for both patients and staff, and manage risks in a dynamic healthcare and nursing environment. Plus, the format enables you to learn and collaborate as you would in practice.
MSN in Healthcare Quality & Patient Safety Online Program at a Glance
- 46 quarter credits (equivalent of 30.67 semester credits)
- 100% online
- No on-campus residency requirement
- Ideal for nurses who want to take their career to new levels and impact quality, safety, and risk management in the healthcare industry
- Ranked #41 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #16 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report
- Learn from faculty members who are practicing experts in the fields of nursing, law, quality, patient safety, and risk management
- Study topics from a wide array of disciplines with the opportunity to learn and collaborate as you would in any practice setting
- The online format is highly interactive, challenging, and engaging while still fitting the schedule needs of working nurses and healthcare professionals
- Learn through realistic virtual simulation experiences through a partnership with faculty from Drexel’s state-of-the-art simulation center
- Three-year tuition lock for students who complete the program within three years
- The MS program is certified by CAHME and the MSN program is accredited by CCNE and certified by CAHME. CAHME serves the public by advancing the quality of healthcare management education globally. CAHME is an interdisciplinary group of educational, professional, clinical, and other health sector organizations devoted to quality improvement of education for healthcare management and administration professionals.
Quality, Safety, and Risk Management Capstone Project
The capstone project provides an opportunity to deepen your newly acquired nursing skills, while developing additional competencies needed to be successful in quality, safety, and risk management in healthcare. It's designed to provide an opportunity to integrate core and support course content related to improvement capability, patient safety, triple aim for populations, person- and family-centered care, leadership, and quality, cost, and value. The capstone project allows you to apply the knowledge learned throughout the program and demonstrate competency in the skills related to QSRM. You have the ability to complete the capstone project at your place of employment, allowingyou to make a meaningful contribution to quality and safety at your organization.
What is an MSN in Patient Safety & Quality Improvement Degree?
An MSN in Patient Safety and Healthcare program is designed for Registered Nurses (RNs) seeking to study the various ways to oversee and advance protocols for patient care in clinical settings.
You’ll learn through classwork and hands-on experiences that apply principles you’ve learned throughout the program to realistic, high stakes simulated activities. While sharing core interdisciplinary requirements, there are two kinds of degree options within this program, each one containing different course sequences and requirements:
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) – designed for nurses
- Master of Science (MS) – designed for healthcare professionals
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
The MSN sequence integrates the Essentials of Master’s Education in Nursing (AACN, 2011), Nurse Practitioner Core Competencies (NONPF, 2014), and QSEN Graduate Competencies (AACN, 2012).
It’s designed for students who have earned a BSN from an institution accredited by the National League for Nursing (NLN) and/or the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) and have a valid RN license. Or, for students who have an accredited bachelor’s degree or an ASN and have a valid RN license.
Master of Science (MS)
The MS sequence includes a wide range of courses from different disciplines, with similar content as the NURS counterpart courses.
It’s designed for students who have earned their bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university. It is also preferable to have healthcare experience.
What Can You Do with an MSN in Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Degree?
An MSN in patient safety and quality improvement might be useful in the pursuit of leadership roles within public and private sectors. Per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the field of occupational health and safety is experiencing fast growth, adding new jobs at a rate of 12% through 2026.
After earning your degree, you can apply your knowledge and skill sets across community-based care delivery settings, hospitals, and other healthcare organizations. While job titles vary depending on where you work, you could look for positions such as:
- Director of Risk Management
- Director of Quality and Patient Safety
- Healthcare Risk Manager
- Patient Safety Officer
- Performance Improvement Advisor
- Quality Improvement Coordinator
Upon completion of this program, you will have gained the skills necessary to:
- Apply a legal and ethical framework of health care delivery
- Further the role of the quality, safety, and risk management professional in the health care system through scholarship, clinical experience, and organizational involvement
- Demonstrate critical thinking and diagnostic reasoning skills in decision-making
- Integrate multiple technologies and relevant theories into the organization and synthesis of health data to care for patients, families, and communities
- Integrate culturally sensitive care that contributes to the health and wellness of the community
- Demonstrate leadership through the development of outcome-based standards of care and practice-based health policy issues
- Drive the quality and effectiveness of care based on current research findings, standards of care, and patient outcomes
- Contribute to the advancement of health care and humanity through communication, interprofessional collaboration, and education
MSN in Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Salary Expectations
Patient safety officers working in state, local, and private hospitals earned a median annual wage of $73,880 in 2018. In the broader industry, salaries range from $42,450 to more than $108,520. In any field, salaries will fluctuate, due to location, clinical settings, and other factors.
States with the Highest Employment of Occupational Health and Safety Specialists
Annual Median Wage
*Data from bls.gov
Online Open Houses
Learn more about this and other nursing programs from our previously recorded online open house webinar series.
Questions? We're here to help!
For application related questions:
For program related questions:
College of Nursing and Health Professions Program Team
Drexel University offers a variety of Graduate Minors that can be added to any master's degree program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
The MSN program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
Graduate students who utilize student loans (FAFSA) muct maintain a minimum enrollment of 4.5 credits per term.
|MSN Core Courses|
|NURS 500||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Healthcare Environments||3.0|
|NURS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Healthcare||3.0|
|NURS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|IPS 501||Legal Compliance: Structure and Implementation||4.5|
|IPS 504||Regulations in Healthcare||4.5|
|IPS 505||Healthcare Quality and the Legal Context||4.5|
|IPS 506||HIPAA: A Patient’s Legal Right to Privacy||4.5|
|IPS 584||Analysis of Performance Standards in Healthcare Quality||3.0|
|IPS 585||Science of Safety, Human Factors, and Systems Thinking||3.0|
|IPS 586||Creating a Culture of Safety||2.0|
|IPS 601||Quality, Safety, and Risk Management Capstone||5.0|
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Your BSN must be from an institution accredited by the National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or the American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN). The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- GPA of 3.0 or above on all previous coursework or last 60 credits completed
- Applications with a GPA of less than 3.0 may be considered on an individual basis
- While specific clinical work and/or volunteer experience is not required, it may make your application more competitive.
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation from previous or current supervisors, managers, faculty members, or program directors who can attest to your knowledge, skill, and potential aptitude for graduate study
- Letters must include the address, phone number, and signature of your recommender
- Letters are waived for those with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Personal statement (no more than two pages and no less than one page double-spaced) that will give the admissions committee a better understanding of:
- Why you're choosing this program of study
- Your plans upon completion of the degree
- How your current work experience will enhance your experience in this program
- Copy of your current U.S. Registered Nurse license
- Additional requirements for International Students
An admissions interview may be required
The tuition rate for the academic year 2022-2023 is $1069 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1187 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
At Drexel, we understand that developing a plan to finance your education is a critical step in your decision-making process. That's why we encourage students who require financial aid to fill out the FAFSA as early in the application process as possible. Learn more about Drexel's financial aid policies. In addition, nursing students are encouraged to visit the AACN to review the many scholarship opportunities that exist through the organization.
2022-2023 Academic Year
September 19, 2022
December 3, 2022
December 5, 2022
December 10, 2022
January 9, 2023
March 18, 2023
March 20, 2023
March 25, 2023
April 3, 2023
June 10, 2023
June 12, 2023
June 17, 2023
June 26, 2023
September 2, 2023
September 4, 2023
September 9, 2023
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.