Online Graduate Certificate in Infection Control and Prevention
What is an Infection Control Certificate?
Designed for working professionals, Drexel University Dornsife School of Public Health’s online Certificate in Infectious Disease Prevention and Control prepares you to work in healthcare settings, public health agencies, the pharmaceutical sector, and other organizations engaged in work related to the prevention and control of infectious diseases. You will learn from the faculty at Drexel University's Dornsife School of Public Health, as well as from experts in the field, who have extensive knowledge and experience in infectious disease prevention and control.
Drexel Dornsife’s online infection control and prevention certificate program provides foundational knowledge that allows public health and healthcare professionals to specialize in the prevention of infectious diseases. With a focus on fundamental content in infectious disease, epidemiology and surveillance, and patient safety, this infection preventionist training program was designed for those with a strong background in biology, health sciences, and/or professional experience working clinically in healthcare settings. For example, nurses and physician assistants interested in working in Infection Prevention and Control, or epidemiologists seeking expertise in infectious diseases and their control.
Program at a Glance
- 18 quarter credits
- Industry-experienced faculty from Drexel’s Dornsife School of Public Health
- CEPH Accredited
- 100% online
- Upon completion of the Certificate in Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, you'll earn 18 quarter credits that may be transferred into our online Master of Public Health program
- Drexel Dornsife is ranked #1 in Philadelphia and in the top 15% in the nation for graduate schools of public health by U.S. News & World Report
- No GRE required
In the Program, You'll Learn To:
- Describe how biological agents affect human health
- Apply biological principles to the development and implementation of disease prevention, control, or management programs
- Specify approaches for assessing, preventing, and controlling environmental hazards related to microbiological threats that pose risks to human health and safety
- Apply epidemiological and other methods appropriate for population-based inquiry and to control the spread of infectious diseases in populations
- Identify key sources of infectious disease data for epidemiological purposes
- Apply quality and performance improvement concepts to address organizational performance issues
What Can You Do With Infection Control and Prevention Training?
The control and prevention of infectious diseases have become central challenges for healthcare professionals around the world. Healthcare associated infections, antimicrobial resistant organisms, and pathogens arising from the pressures associated with One Health, urbanization, and globalization, contribute to emerging infectious diseases that require special training for public health and healthcare practitioners who are charged with their control. Professionals with training in infectious disease prevention and control are needed in hospitals, long-term healthcare and skilled nursing facilities, public health agencies, non-profit organizations, and in the pharmaceutical industry.
Infection Control & Prevention Healthcare Career Opportunities
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment of epidemiologists will grow 9% from 2016 to 2026. Employment of microbiologists and for occupational health and safety specialists (both related occupations) is projected to grow 8%. Learn more about public health jobs.
How Much Can You Make with a Graduate Certificate in Infectious Diseases and Infection Control?
Infection Control & Prevention Graduate Certificate Salary Expectations
Salaries within the infection prevention and control field, and within the larger public health field, are largely based on factors like title, location and years of experience. Learn more about public health salaries.
How Long Does It Take to Complete a Graduate Certificate in Infection Control and Prevention?
Drexel’s online Certificate in Infectious Disease Prevention and Control can be completed in as little as nine months. Should you choose to matriculate into the Master of Public Health program, the credits you earn in this certificate can be used as electives.
- Master’s in Public Health (MPH)
- Certificate in Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Certificate in Global Health
- Certificate in LGBT Health
- Certificate in Maternal and Child Health
- Certificate in Public Health
- Certificate in Urban Health
- On-Campus Public Health Programs
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period.
|EOH 650||Microbes in Public Health Practice I: Overview of Bacterial Pathogens||3.0|
|EOH 651||Microbes in Public Health Practice II: Overview of Viral and Other Pathogens||3.0|
|EOH 655||Infection Prevention and Control in the Healthcare Environment||3.0|
|EPI 553||Infectious Disease Epidemiology||3.0|
|EPI 570||Introduction to Epidemiology||3.0|
|IPS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
You must earn a minimum grade of B in EPI 570 and a minimum grade of B- in EOH 650 in order to continue in the program.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Additional requirements for International Students
Working knowledge of and access to a personal computer (no more than 4 years old), high-speed connection to the Internet, and Microsoft Office applications.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $944 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1258 per credit)
A 50% tuition savings is available to new online students affiliated with Drexel University partner organizations, military members and their families, and Drexel Alumni who start this program in Summer and Fall 2021 terms only. This special opportunity expires on September 1, 2021.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 20, 2022
August 27, 2022
August 29, 2022
September 3, 2022