Certificate in Maternal and Child Health
Drexel’s accredited, online Certificate in Maternal and Child Health (MCH) provides the knowledge and skills needed to effectively promote the health and well-being of women, mothers, infants, children, adolescents, and families in local, domestic, and global settings.
Access a tailored maternal and child health core curriculum, informed by federal MCH leadership competencies, to learn how to translate data into practice, plan and evaluate programs, and communicate with distinct and diverse audiences guided by mentors/faculty with MCH experience. As a student of Drexel's maternal and child health certificate program, you will apply skills in a required local field experience, as well as elective domestic and global practical experiences using innovative technology and enhance your capacity in the MCH workforce.
- Courses taught by experienced faculty from Drexel’s Dornsife School of Public Health, which is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)
- Convenient 100% online format for busy professionals
- Curriculum shaped by the five MCH core competencies:
- Scientific Basis
- Methodological/Analytical Skills
- Management and Communication Skills
- Policy and Advocacy Skills
- Values and Ethics in MCH Public Health Practice
- One of five national HRSA-Funded MCH Public Health Catalyst Programs
- Taught by Drexel faculty and guest lectures by national and international experts in MCH
Upon completion, you will be able to:
- Understand the historical development of the maternal and child health field, including the history of local, state, and federal MCH agencies and their structure, and national legislative mandates relative to MCH
- Define the MCH population in a community
- Apply the life course perspective to MCH public health problems
- Utilize core public health analysis and research methods to interpret MCH data and translate it into MCH practice
- Describe the design, implementation, and evaluation of MCH programs domestically and internationally
- Explain the tenets of MCH program planning and evaluation and identify essential gaps in existing programs serving mothers and children
- Effectively communicate to diverse MCH populations
- Identify the biological, social, and behavioral basis for a MCH program
Online Open House
View our previously recorded online open house to learn more about the Certificate in Maternal and Child Health program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period.
|CHP 517||Overview of Maternal and Child Health||3.0|
|CHP 518||Global Issues in Maternal and Child Health||3.0|
|EPI 570||Introduction to Epidemiology||3.0|
|Electives (Choose Three)||9.0|
|Introduction to Biostatistics|
|Public Health Ethics|
|Global Health Ethics|
|Monitoring and Evaluation in Global Health Programs and Advocacy|
|Process Monitoring and Outcomes Evaluation for Community Health Programs|
|Research with Rare, Stigmatized and Hidden Populations|
|LGBT Health Disparities|
|Design and Analysis of Epidemiological Studies|
|Violence, Trauma and Adversity in Public Health|
|Change Management in Public Health|
|Reproductive Women's Health Across the Life Cycle|
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university
- Demonstrated interest or work experience in Maternal and Child Health
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our supporting document submission guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions attended (including trade schools)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The software used in many of our courses requires you to have access to a PC. Apple doesn’t currently support the software needed to complete this coursework. Please visit Drexel’s computer buying guide for more information.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1246 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 11, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.