Online Graduate Certificate in Global Health
Advocate for your community — locally and globally — with Drexel’s online Graduate Certificate in Global Health. Offered by the Drexel University Dornsife School of Public Health, which is ranked 19th in the nation for Best Public Health Schools by U.S. News and Report, this post-baccalaureate global health certificate fits busy lifestyles and requires no on-campus obligations. What’s more, the Dornsife School of Public Health is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Designed to introduce you to the field of global health and development in international settings, Drexel Dornsife’s online Graduate Certificate in Global Health exceeds the industry’s standards while sporting a mix of Drexel Dornsife faculty and global health experts. Certificate students take courses alongside Drexel’s online Master of Public Health (MPH) students, and upon graduation, can transfer completed credits directly into the MPH program.
Global Health Certificate Program Features
- Global health industry-experienced faculty from Drexel’s Dornsife School of Public Health, which is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)
- Fully online format that is convenient for busy professionals
- Upon completion of the Certificate in Global Health, you'll earn 15 quarter credits that may be transferred into our online Master of Public Health program
- Drexel Dornsife is ranked #1 in Philadelphia and #19 in the nation for graduate schools of public health by U.S. News & World Report
What is a Graduate Certificate in Global Health?
Drexel’s Graduate Certificate in Global Health will further your foundational knowledge and practical application of analytical and technical skills that are expected of professionals pursuing careers in the global health and international development fields. Faculty are committed to teaching you how to design, implement, and evaluate public health programs in under-served communities in the US and international and developing countries.
While learning to translate theory into practical applications to current global health developmental challenges, the 15-credit curriculum includes courses that cover the following public and global health trends:
- Overview of Issues in Global Health
- Global Public Health Ethics
- Health Systems Policy Analysis
- Monitoring and Evaluation in Global Health Programs and Advocacy
- Outcomes Assessment of Community Health Programs
Upon earning the global health certificate, you will be prepared to:
- Work in changing environments and with diverse populations
- Respond competently to health challenges that transcend geographic and cultural boundaries
- Identify and analyze factors that impact disparities in health status, health resources, and access to health information and services, particularly for marginalized and vulnerable groups
Whether you’re seeking to expand your global health knowledge, advance your career, or are ultimately aiming to enroll in Drexel’s online MPH program, the Graduate Certificate in Global Health offers both programs in an autonomous, online format.
What Jobs Can I Get with a Global Health Certificate?
After completing the online global health certificate, you will be expertly prepared to respond to health challenges regardless of geographical and cultural impact. In fact, you may be eligible to expand in your current field, such as in nursing, medicine, and healthcare, or pursue the following positions:
- Clinical Research Professional
- Community Wellness Administrator
- Environmental Scientist or Specialist
- Government Employee
- Health Educator or Community Health Worker
- Health Specialist
- International Recruiter
- Medical and Health Services Manager
- Public Health Project Manager
- Research Associate
- Urban Planner
- Water and Sanitation Planner
As employers seek out public and global health practitioners who are able to identify and analyze varying health resources among the world’s populations, those who complete the Graduate Certificate in Global Health become instantly more attractive to employers in the following fields:
- Administrative Health
- Clinical Administration
- Domestic Health-Oriented Non-Profit Organizations
- Domestic Hospitals
- Government Offices
- Healthcare Consultation and Development
- International Healthcare Consultant Groups
- Multinational Corporations
- Research Programs
- Support Services
- World Health Organizations
Not sure where to start your job search? Don’t worry — online students have the same access to Drexel’s comprehensive career services as students who study on campus. In addition to the Steinbright Career Development Center, online global health students have the support of Symplicity, a portal managed by Dornsife’s Office of Practice, that posts jobs, internships, fellowships, and other global opportunities.
What Are the Salary Expectations for Careers in Global Health?
Salary estimates vary in the public and global health industries. The Bureau of Labor Statistics’ most updated figures display the following career median salaries:
Median Annual Salary*
Health Communications Specialist
Health Educator/Community Health Worker
Maternal and Child Health Advisor
Medical and Health Services Manager
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Overseas Global Health Program Country Director
Research and Project Development Coordinator
Urban and Regional Planner
Data from Payscale.com and BLS.gov
- Certificate in Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Certificate in LGBT Health
- Certificate in Maternal and Child Health
- Certificate in Public Health
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period.
|CHP 607||Public Health Ethics||3.0|
|CHP 660||Global Health Ethics||1.5|
|CHP 661||Monitoring and Evaluation in Global Health Programs and Advocacy||1.5|
|CHP 673||Outcomes Assessment of Community Health and Prevention||3.0|
|EOH 560||Overview of Issues in Global Health||3.0|
|HMP 603||Health Systems Policy Analysis||3.0|
Those who do not have a degree from a CEPH accredited school must also take PBHL 501 - Introductory Public Health Learning Objectives.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Additional requirements for International Students
The software used in many of our courses requires you to have access to a PC. Apple doesn’t currently support the software needed to complete this coursework. Please visit Drexel’s computer buying guide for more information.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2020-2021 is $1246 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 4, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021