Online Superintendent Certificate Program
The online Superintendent Certificate Program is ideal for students who would like to attain their Superintendent Certificate without going through a doctoral program. This one-year program prepares students to be adaptive leaders who are able to lead urban, rural, and suburban school communities in Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, and Ambiguous (VUCA) environments.
Our program promotes a creative and innovative mindset through research, teaching, learning, and service that addresses the evolving educational and societal needs of diverse communities. A focus on equity, diversity, and inclusion is integrated into all courses and training within the certificate program, as well as an experiential learning component through an internship. Students will be eligible to apply for superintendent certification upon successful completion of this one-year program.
Why Choose Drexel for A Superintendent Certificate Program?
Our one-year online program is an executive-style leadership program designed for working professionals who wish to expedite the process of achieving their superintendent certificate.
It is our mission to educate students through an internship that supports experiential learning, action research designed to apply theory to practice, application of current and emerging technology, and learning environments designed to promote creativity and innovation.
Drexel University is an urban research university that integrates education, scholarship, diverse partnerships, and our global community to address society’s most pressing challenges through an inclusive learning environment, immersive experiential learning, external partnerships, transdisciplinary and applied research, and creative activity. We prepare graduates of diverse backgrounds to become purpose-driven professionals and agents for positive change.
Successful graduates of this certificate program should be eligible for a Department of Education Superintendent Certification in any state in the US. Students studying internationally can use the Superintendent certificate to advance in their educational career according to the guidelines in their country. Drexel University’s Online Education Program is an award-winning nationally-recognized program.
Key Program Features
In the online superintendent certificate program, you'll have the opportunity to learn from expert faculty who are current or former Superintendents, Directors of Special Education, Curriculum Supervisors, Principals, and Directors of Intermediate Units.
When earning the Superintendent Certificate online, you can expect to learn:
- How to lead K-12 urban, rural, and suburban school districts utilizing adaptive leadership
- How to create equitable learning environments
- How to prepare students for college and a career in a technologically-advanced global society
Superintendent certificate courses will include skill building in:
- Curriculum models
- Instructional and curriculum leadership in special education
- Parents and schools
- School superintendency
You can expect 400 hours of experiential learning through internships that are documented through a digital portfolio of your work.
What Can You Do with a Superintendent Certificate?
Typical career paths of students who complete the online superintendent certificate program include:
- Chief Education Officer
- School Administrator
- School Superintendent
A school superintendent is the chief executive officer of a school district. They are often the person who meets with school boards and elected leaders to report on progress within their schools and address concerns. Superintendents oversee student achievement and academic standards, manage the district’s budget, and hire and maintain senior level staff. The American Association of School Administrators cites their annual average salary as $156,468.
Department of Education Requirements for Superintendent Licensure
Graduates of the program are eligible for PA Department of Education Superintendent Certification, dependent on a successful score on the required Praxis Assessment. The PA Superintendent Certification with an accompanying passing score on the Praxis Assessment for the specific state is accepted in most states in the US.
Candidates for the Pennsylvania Superintendent Certification must have a minimum of 6 years of teaching experience, at least 3 of which must be in a leadership role. Candidates may be admitted to Drexel’s online Superintendent Certificate program before they meet these requirements, but they cannot apply for state certification until they have satisfied the Department of Education requirements for years of experience and Praxis Exam scores. It is recommended to have at least 5 years of experience when applying to this program, so upon completion, students are eligible to apply for state certification.
Learn more about how to become a superintendent.
- EdD Online Program
- EdD Philadelphia Hybrid Online Program
- EdD Washington DC Hybrid Online Program
- MS in Educational Administration
- MS in Higher Education Leadership
- School Principal Certification
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDAM 817||Curriculum Models||3.0|
|EDAM 820||School Superintendency||3.0|
|EDAM 824||Parents and Schools||3.0|
|EDEX 712||Instructional & Curriculum Leadership in Special Education||3.0|
|EDAM 827||School Superintendent's Internship: Curriculum Models||1.0|
|EDAM 828||School Superintendent's Internship: Parents and Schools||1.0|
|EDAM 829||School Superintendent's Internship: Budget and Finance||1.0|
|EDAM 830||School Superintendent's Internship: Human Resource Development||1.0|
- A bachelor's degree and master’s degree from regionally accredited institutions
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A state-issued principal certificate
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- One letter should be from a Superintendent (or another senior leader) from a district or school where you have worked. The letter should speak to your experiences in leadership roles, as well as any skills that would have a strong bearing on your success as a Superintendent.
- An essay describing why you're interested in pursuing this program
- Copy of your state-issued principal certificate
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2023-2024 is $1438 per credit.
For the academic year 2023-2024, students enrolled in an online graduate academic program will be charged a graduate online program fee of $125 per year.
- This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates are available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2023-2024 Academic Year
September 26, 2023
December 9, 2023
December 11, 2023
December 16, 2023
January 8, 2024
March 16, 2024
March 18, 2024
March 23, 2024
April 1, 2024
June 8, 2024
June 10, 2024
June 15, 2024
June 24, 2024
August 31, 2024
September 3, 2024
September 7, 2024