Introduction to Cancer Biology: Certificate in Molecular Basis of Cancer
Drexel University’s online molecular basis of cancer certificate program will provide you with an introduction to cancer biology and advance your career in basic, translational, and clinical research. Upon completion of the molecular basis of cancer certificate program, you'll be prepared for a successful career in cancer biology research. Those already in the cancer research field will benefit from a curriculum designed to advance your career and expand your knowledge base to provide detailed understanding of the molecular basis of cancer pathology.
During the molecular basis of cancer certificate program online, you'll learn:
- Fundamental molecular and biochemical processes at the cellular level and how these processes are altered in cancer
- How molecular and biochemical processes are used to target cancer during therapy
- To demonstrate the ability to define the significance of scientific discovery as related to cancer biology
- How to clearly communicate scientific knowledge in written and online formats
- To be proficient in identifying, evaluating, and utilizing scientific literature and other resources
What is the Molecular Basis of Cancer?
Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the United States. As a result, millions of dollars are invested each year in cancer research. One aspect of cancer research that has showed tremendous growth and progress is the study of the molecular basis of cancer. Cancer happens when cells undergo genetic and epigenetic alterations in key cellular functions that result in uncontrolled growth and invasion. While every type of cancer is different, they share common hallmarks at the molecular and cellular levels. Drexel’s molecular basis of cancer certificate delves deeper into these molecular and biochemical processes at the cellular level, how these processes are altered in cancer, and ultimately how they're used to target cancer during therapeutic intervention.
Features of Post-Bacc Cert in Molecular Basis of Cancer Program
- 15 semester credits
- 100% online program
- Program can be completed in as little as one year
- Courses led by distinguished researchers and scientists with extensive experience in cancer research
- No application fee
- No GRE required
- Flexible curriculum that caters to your career goals
FAQs: Certificate in Molecular Basis of Cancer
Do I need to come to campus for the molecular basis of cancer certificate program?
While you're welcome to visit Drexel’s campus, you're not required to come to campus at any point during the molecular basis of cancer certificate program online.
Can I transfer the credits I earn from the molecular basis of cancer certificate program into a Drexel’s master’s degree?
Yes, the credits earned during the molecular basis of cancer certificate program can be transferred into some of Drexel’s master’s programs. It's best to discuss this option with your academic advisor to ensure the plan of study best fits this option.
- Certificate of Study in Clinical Research
- Certificate in Drug Discovery and Development
- Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Certificate (Hybrid Program)
- Quantitative Principles for Clinical Research Certificate
- MS in Biomedicine and Business
- MS in Biomedicine and Digital Media
- MS in Biomedicine and Entrepreneurship
- MS in Biomedicine and Law
- MS in Cancer Biology (On-Campus)
- MS in Clinical Research Organization and Management
- MS in Clinical Research for Health Professionals
- MS in Drug Discovery and Development
- MS in Immunology
- MS in Infectious Disease
- MS in Molecular Basis of Cancer
- MS in Molecular Medicine
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
|Foundations in Bioscience I
|Foundations in Bioscience II
|Introduction to Cancer Biology
|Molecular Basis of Cancer
|Control of the Cell Cycle and Cell Death
|Experimental Approaches in Cancer Research
|Drug Discovery and Development I
|Drug Discovery and Development II
- A four-year, biology or chemistry-based BA/BS degree program from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Those with a lower GPA are encouraged to apply, but should ensure that relevant professional experience is included on their resume
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Essay (approx 500 words) explaining:
- Your reasons for pursuing a degree from Drexel
- Your short-term and long-term career plans
- How your background, experience, interest, and/or values, when combined with a Drexel degree, will enable you to pursue these goals successfully
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2023-2024 is $1305 per credit.
For the academic year 2023-2024, students enrolled in an online graduate academic program will be charged a graduate online program fee of $125 per year.
- This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates are available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2023-2024 Academic Year
August 21, 2023
December 15, 2023
January 8, 2024
May 3, 2024
May 13, 2024
August 2, 2024