Online Master’s in Sport Business Degree Program
Master of Science in Sport Business
Drexel University’s LeBow College of Business’s online Master’s in Sport Business prepares you to lead in the constantly changing sports industry. Whether your goal is to work with college athletes as an athletic administrator, or your interests lie in the business side of sports, you’ll be given the tools and connections you need to stand out in the job market. The curriculum covers sport media, economics, marketing and sales, law, and event management, giving you a solid foundation across the industry.
To help support your MS in Sport Business, you have the option of adding a graduate minor. Minors are available in areas like athletic administration and business analytics.
Any of the online business degrees can also be paired as a dual degree such as an MBA/MS Sport Business, or an MS Business Analytics/MS Sport Business, with shared coursework usually through elective credits.
MS in Sport Business Program Features
- Learn from industry-leading faculty who have deep-rooted connections
- An optional summer residency features tours, guest speakers, and industry networking opportunities
- Get unique exposure to franchises in all four major league sports teams as well as other international sport organizations
- The online format enables you to learn on your own schedule from anywhere, so you’ll have more time to commit to your career and personal life
What is an MS in Sport Business?
An MS in Sport Business is designed to help you land your dream job in today’s multi-billion-dollar sport industry. By seamlessly integrating the sports application of law, economics and finance, marketing, media, and promotions with a top-notch business curriculum, the Drexel LeBow program offers a practical foundation for careers in professional or college sports, or with sport marketing firms, sport agencies, and other sport organizations.
In this program, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Utilize economic analysis and the latest technology to study sports markets, league organization, the finance of sport, and more
- Develop the ability to plan, design, implement, and evaluate sport programs
- Explore human resources, policy development, and the management functions necessary for the effective management of sport organizations
- Develop an understanding of the legal standards, principles, and practices within the world of sports
What are the Requirements and Skills Needed for an MS in Sport Business?
The admissions criteria for this master’s degree includes a bachelor’s degree in any field from a regionally accredited institution and an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. It’s also recommended that you have at least two years of prior work experience, even if it is not in this field.
How Long Does It Take to Earn a Master’s Degree in Sport Business?
Drexel LeBow’s online MS in Sport Business degree is a 45-credit program, with the option of transferring up to 15 quarter credits from an accredited institution. The program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. You can earn your degree in as little as 24 months.
What Can You Do with a Master’s Degree in Sport Business?
Upon graduation, you’ll be prepared to pursue a variety of positions within sports organizations in finance, analytics, marketing, media, management, operations, events, sales, sponsorships, and more. Some common job titles include:
- Athletic Director
- Salary Cap Analyst
- Sports Agent / Advisor
- Sports Marketing and Promotions Manager
What Salary Can You Earn with a Master’s Degree in Sport Business?
Once you’ve earned your degree, you’ll command a competitive sports management salary. Salaries vary based on location and job title, but here are some sample job titles and national salary averages:
Annual Median Wage*
Salary Cap / Financial Analyst
Sports Agent / Advisor
Sports Marketing and Promotions Manager
*Data from www.workinsports.com
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
You may transfer up to 15 quarter credits from an accredited institution.
|BUSN 501||Measuring and Maximizing Financial Performance||3.0|
|ORGB 511||Leading in Dynamic Environments: A Personal, Relational, and Strategic Approach||3.0|
|STAT 601||Business Statistics||3.0|
|Sport Business Core|
|SMT 601||Sports Industry Management||3.0|
|SMT 602||Sport Law||3.0|
|SMT 603||Sports Marketing||3.0|
|SMT 605||Sports Economics||3.0|
|SMT 606||Social Issues in Sport||3.0|
|SMT 608||Sport Media & Public Relations||3.0|
|Choose one of the following:|
|Business Consulting Projects|
|International Business Seminar and Residency|
|Leading for Innovation|
|Business Agility and IT|
|Negotiations for Leaders|
|Leadership in Sport Management|
|Sports Industry Practicum|
|Electives or Graduate Minor (Choose Five)
|Legal Issues in New Ventures|
|Business & Economic Strategy: Game Theory & Applications|
|Corporate Financial Management|
|Business Conditions and Forecasting|
|International Financial Management|
|Marketing Strategy & Planning|
|Buyer Behavior Theory|
|Corporate Brand & Reputation Management|
|Managerial Decision Models and Simulation|
|Supply Chain Management I|
|Sports Ticket Sales & Strategies|
|Corporate Sponsorship Sales & Strategies in Sport|
|Development & Fundraising Strategies in Sport|
|Introduction to the College Sport Industry|
|Labor Relations & Collective Bargaining in Sport|
|Sports Promotion and Sales|
|Globalization of Sport|
|Sports Tournaments & Events|
|Managing Coaches & Teams|
|Sport Facilities & Event Management|
|Consumer Behavior in Sport|
|Gender Equity in High School & College Sports|
|March Madness: The Economics, History, & Social Impact of the NCAA Basketball Tournaments|
|Special topics in SMT|
|Statistics for Business Analytics|
|Datamining for Managers|
|Quality & Six-Sigma|
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 preferred
- Two years of prior work experience is recommended
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- One letter of recommendation
- A 1,000 word personal essay including:
- Information regarding your background and experience in the sports industry
- A summary of your professional career interests and goals
- A discussion of your personal strengths
- Additional requirements for International Students
To make your application more competitive, you may elect to submit graduate level placement exam scores, like GRE or GMAT. If scores are submitted they will be considered as part of your application package.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $949 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1265 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 20, 2022
August 27, 2022
August 29, 2022
September 3, 2022
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.