Online Master's Degree in Health Administration
Master of Health Administration (MHA)
Drexel’s online Master of Health Administration (MHA) degree offers a unique opportunity to marry your extensive healthcare experience with the latest business management skills needed to become a respected industry leader and advocate – at a time when the demand for trusted decision makers and creative problem-solvers is greater than ever.
Why should you choose Drexel’s online Health Administration Master's program?
- The program emphasizes authentic, problem-based learning in a collaborative online environment, connecting you with local healthcare leaders and fellow classmates through online discussions and a mandatory 5-day on-campus residency
- You will study with faculty members who are doctorally-prepared educators with vast, executive experience in managed care, non-profit organizations, physician practice management, and hospital and research-based ethics consultations
- You will master the latest, evidence-based healthcare management theories and practice applications, while honing your transformational leadership, financial, analytical thinking, and interpersonal communications skills
- There is no thesis requirement
- The online format enables you to learn on your own schedule, while still providing ample opportunities to connect with your professors and classmates
What is a MHA?
The Master of Health Administration (MHA) is a graduate-level professional degree that prepares you for healthcare leadership or administration-level jobs. This includes managing the business side of hospitals or other health services organizations. This degree will utilize your business skills and acumen, teaching you how to translate them for the healthcare space.
What are the Requirements and Skills Needed for an MHA?
To be successful in health administration, there are many soft skills that help set you apart from the competition:
- Flexibility, tenacity, and attention to detail – Adapt to an industry that is consistently growing and constantly evolving
- Effective communication, written, and interpersonal skills – Become the translator between the clinicians and business decision-makers in healthcare environments
- Empathy, customer-service orientation, and the ability to think on your feet – Make a difference and help improve the lives of many people every day
What Can You Do With a Master’s Degree in Health Administration (MHA)?
Graduates of Drexel’s online Master of Health Administration program can look forward to a wide range of rewarding career opportunities, including jobs in hospital administration, pharmaceutical corporations, healthcare consulting firms, health marketing firms, health analysis and policy firms, and healthcare advocacy organizations. Likewise, there are plenty of professional pathways in specialty health services facilities, physician offices, outpatient centers, managed care, insurance organizations, government and public health agencies, health information, tech companies, and nonprofit health and social services agencies.
How Long Does It Take to Earn a Master’s Degree in Health Administration?
Drexel’s online Master of Health Administration (MHA) degree is designed for experienced healthcare professionals like yourself, who need the convenience of an online format to balance their work life, family, and educational needs. Our online MHA has two options to help you to achieve your goals on a timeline that fits your lifestyle. Our 2-year or 3-year plans of study allow you to pick the pace that is just right for you.
Master’s in Health Administration Salary Expectations
Did you know that health administration is the fastest-growing sector of the economy? It’s true, and it’s good news for professionals in the field.
In January 2018, healthcare officially became the largest employer in the United States. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a whopping 20 percent increase in employment for Medical and Health Services Managers between now and 2026. That’s equivalent to more than 72,100 new jobs, with a current median annual salary of $98,350 for executives and administrators in the healthcare industry.
MHA Coursework Addresses the FOllowing Competencies:
With its solid focus on real-world application, the online MHA program is grounded in the National Center for Healthcare Leadership’s Competency Model – the leading model used by accredited graduate education programs to build proven leadership competencies across the health professions.
As such, the curriculum is organized around the model’s three domains – transformation, execution, and people – to provide you with the requisite skills for climbing the executive management ladder, from strategic planning, practice management, and team-building, to project coordination, public policy, and financial oversight. This allows you to broaden your leadership horizons with advanced coursework in epidemiology and biostatistics, as well as healthcare economics, ethics, and law. Some of the other skills you'll hone throughout the program include:
- Fiscal Accountability
- Human Resources and Team Management
- Implementing and Managing Change
- Professional Accountability and Advocacy
- Relationship Building and Collaborative Problem Solving
- Transformational Leadership
For questions, please contact:
Marina Moses, MS, DrPH
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EPI 570||Introduction to Epidemiology||3.0|
|HMP 512||The Business of Healthcare: Advanced Healthcare Financial Management||3.0|
|or IPS 564||The Business of Healthcare|
|HSAD 500||Historical Influences on the US Healthcare System||4.0|
|HSAD 505||Ethical and Legal Issues in Healthcare Management and Policy||4.0|
|HSAD 515||Practice issues in Healthcare Management||4.0|
|HSAD 522||Applied Management Project *||4.0|
|HSAD 525||National Health Expenditures||4.0|
|HSAD 530||Politics and Policy of Healthcare Resources||4.0|
|HSAD 540||Resources, Recruitment, and Retention in Healthcare||4.0|
|HSAD 550||Planning in the Era of the Affordable Care Act||4.0|
|RSCH 519||Introduction to Biostatistics||3.0|
|Electives (Choose of the following)||4.0|
|Advanced Healthcare Marketing|
|Group Dynamics & Leadership in Health Care Management|
|Global Health and Management Issues|
|Comparative Health Systems|
*HSAD 522 is taken during the first week of Summer term.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- GPA of 3.0 or above is preferred
- Those with a GPA lower than 3.0 are encouraged to apply, but should in their personal statement highlight relevant work experience, professional certifications, and/or continuing education that demonstrate academic excellence
- At least three years of previous health care management experience showing a pattern of increased responsibility
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation from relevant professional references, with at least one from a supervisor.
- Essay of approximately 500-750 words describing your relevant professional and life experiences, outlining your career goals, and explaining your motivation for pursuing a career in health care management and obtaining a Master of Health Administration degree
- Additional requirements for International Students
An admissions interview may be required.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $917 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 20, 2022
August 27, 2022
August 29, 2022
September 3, 2022
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.