MSN Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
The accredited online MSN Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program is designed to train nurse practitioners in the management of acute and critically ill patients with complex chronic medical conditions. This specialized MSN is conducted by Drexel University’s nationally ranked College of Nursing and Health Professionals and provides the knowledge and skills needed to meet the specialized needs of this patient base. Acute Care Nurse Practitioners are primarily employed in hospital settings including hospitalist roles, intensive care units and specialty medical and surgical practices.
The program places a special emphasis on diagnostic reasoning and clinical decision-making, and is designed to prepare acute care nurses for roles as clinicians, educators, researchers, and leaders in multi-disciplinary healthcare environments.
- The master's degree in nursing at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Ranked #41 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #16 in 2020's Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report
- Synchronous online lectures offer a highly interactive learning format that challenges and engages students
- An experienced and board certified faculty from Drexel’s acclaimed College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification through ANCC or AACN
This high-quality program demands a major commitment of time, including an on-campus visit that is essential for transition into the NP role. You’ll participate in the following mandatory On-Campus Intensive:
- NURS 570 AG-ACNP I - Summer On-Campus Intensive (4 days)
During the On-Campus Intensive, you'll engage in simulated clinical learning experiences conducted in the College of Nursing and Health Professions' state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary patient simulation lab. This visit provides direct guidance and mentoring from faculty, as well as the opportunity to collaborate with peers.
Pennsylvania RN licensure is required prior to the start of your clinical components. While this is not a requirement for admission, we recommend starting the process immediately after admission.
The nurse practitioner programs in the Department of Advanced Practice Nursing at Drexel University provide you the flexibility of finding and coordinating your own clinical site and preceptor. The department also offers resources to assist you in this process. Accessibility to clinical sites and preceptors varies from state to state, and you may be required to travel to access clinical sites/preceptors and achieve the necessary clinical hours.
Online Open Houses
Learn more about this and other nursing programs from our previously recorded online open house webinar series.
Questions? We're here to help!
College of Nursing and Health Professions Program Team
Online Nurse Practitioner programs are offered only on a part-time basis.
Drexel University offers a variety of Graduate Minors that can be added to any master's degree program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
The MSN Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|NURS 500||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Health Care Environments||3.0|
|NURS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Health Care||3.0|
|NURS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|NURS 548||Advanced Pathophysiology||3.0|
|NURS 549||Advanced Pharmacology||3.0|
|NURS 550||Advanced Clinical Assessment & Diagnostic Reasoning||4.0|
|NURS 554||Pharmacology for Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioners||3.0|
|NURS 664||Professional Issues for Nurse Practitioners||1.0|
|NURS 570||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP I: Introduction to Adult Gerontology Acute Care Medicine||5.0|
|NURS 571||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP II: Mgnt/Care of Patients in Acute/Crit Care Med Set||5.0|
|NURS 572||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP III: Mgnt/Care of Patients in Acute Surgical Setting||5.0|
|NURS 573||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP IV: Management of Care of Patients in Critical Care Settings||5.0|
|NURS 580||Adult Gero Acute Care NP V: Mgmt/Care of Clients in Acute, Critical Care, Med or Surg Settings||5.0|
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from program fully accredited by National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN.) The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above from your BSN
- Two years of current bedside acute care nursing experience is required. Critical care experience is preferred. Examples of the recommended nursing experience include, but are not limited to: ICU, CCU, ER, trauma and high acuity step down units.
- A current, unrestricted United States RN license
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former nursing faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill and potential aptitude for graduate study
- References will not be accepted from colleagues or family members
- Personal statement (under 1,000 words) that will give the admissions committee a better understanding of:
- Why you are choosing this particular program of study,
- Your plans upon completion of the graduate degree, and
- How your current work experience will enhance your experience in this MSN program
- Resume including specific details of your responsibilities and job experiences
- A copy of your United States RN license (License verification from your nursing license registry website is acceptable)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $1037 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1152 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
At Drexel, we understand that developing a plan to finance your education is a critical step in your decision-making process. That's why we encourage students who require financial aid to fill out the FAFSA as early in the application process as possible. Learn more about Drexel's financial aid policies. In addition, nursing students are encouraged to visit the AACN to review the many scholarship opportunities that exist through the organization.
2021-2022 Academic Year
September 20, 2021
December 4, 2021
December 6, 2021
December 11, 2021
January 3, 2022
March 12, 2022
March 14, 2022
March 19, 2022
March 28, 2022
June 4, 2022
June 6, 2022
June 11, 2022
June 21, 2022
August 29, 2022
August 30, 2022
September 3, 2022