Online MS in Healthcare Simulation Degree Program
Drexel University's online master’s degree in healthcare simulation is designed for healthcare professionals and simulation technicians seeking to become leaders in the field of simulated education. This online healthcare simulation degree program couples education in patient safety with simulation learning concepts to ensure you have the experience to thrive in both clinical and academic environments. Upon graduation, you will have met the educational criteria needed to sit for the Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) certification exam.
The online MS in Healthcare Simulation was designed for students who do not hold a nursing degree. If you are a registered nurse, please see the online MSN in Healthcare Simulation.
What is an MS in Healthcare Simulation?
Health simulations give you the opportunity to learn and test new skills in a safe environment that can mimic real-world scenarios. Simulations can resemble high tech tools, role playing, and even realistic healthcare environments, among others. The goal of simulation-based education is to better promote patient safety by ensuring that healthcare providers have practiced the procedures, care processes, and critical conversations in the simulation space before entering the clinical environment.
Drexel’s online MS in Healthcare Simulation was designed specifically for students who wish to work in the healthcare simulation field. This masters degree in healthcare simulation online provides specialized training in simulation-based education, and ensures that you are familiar with the tools, practices, and procedures you will need in the field. You’ll be able to transfer the skills you learn in the program to careers in the clinical environment, clinical teaching, or the classroom.
MS in Healthcare Simulation Program Features
- Taught by industry experienced faculty in Drexel’s respected College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Curriculum places an emphasis on ensuring patient safety
- Upon graduation, you will be prepared to sit for the Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) certification exam, as soon as you meet the practice requirements
Requirements for The MS in Healthcare Simulation Program
Drexel’s online MS in Healthcare Simulation admissions requirements include a bachelor’s degree in any health related field with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. For additional requirements and application information, please see the admissions criteria section.
If you are currently a nurse, hold RN licensure, and have earned an undergraduate or graduate degree in nursing, you may apply for Drexel’s online MSN in Healthcare Simulation.
What Can I Do With a MS in Healthcare Simulation?
Careers in Nursing and Other Healthcare Simulation
Upon graduation from Drexel’s online master’s degree in healthcare simulation, you’ll be prepared to take on prominent positions in the medical simulation field. Courses such as "Simulation in Healthcare Education," "Simulation Center Leadership," and "Quality and Safety in Healthcare" will help you build foundational knowledge while also ensuring you have the skills you need to succeed in careers throughout the field.
Common career titles in healthcare simulation include:
- Healthcare Simulation Director
Simulation directors help to integrate simulations into the healthcare system. Besides administrative work, their responsibilities include patient safety, curriculum design, community outreach, and teaching and debriefing.
- Medical Simulation Technician
A simulation technician supports all forms of simulation maintenance. This includes equipment setup and breakdown, audiovisual support, and software management, among other duties.
- Quality Improvement Coordinator
Utilize data analysis skills to identify, design, and implement educational solutions to improve key quality metrics.
- Risk Manager
Utilizing newly acquired simulation, quality, safety, and risk management skills, you would assist with identifying and solutioning risk mitigating scenarios.
MS in Healthcare Simulation Expectations
Common job titles and salaries for professionals working in the health simulation field include:
Medical Simulation Technician
Medical Simulation Professional
Healthcare Simulation Professional
*Data from payscale.com and ziprecruiter.com
MS in Healthcare Simulation Program FAQs
Do I need to come to campus?
No, you will not be required to come to Drexel’s campus during this program. However, during the IPS 617 course, you will be required to participate in a 3-Day Virtual Experience via Zoom. These are full class days and will take place during Week 3 of the quarter in which IPS 617 is taken. (This week is subject to change.)
What will I need to be eligible for the CHSE (Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator) Exam?
Drexel’s online MS in Healthcare Simulation will prepare you to meet the educational requirements for the Society for Simulation in Healthcare’s Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) certification exam. There are additional eligibility requirements, including practical experience. To learn more, please visit the Society for Simulation in Healthcare.
As a nurse, is this the right program for me?
We offer both a MSN and MS in Healthcare Simulation program so you can select the curriculum that best aligns with your career goals. Learn more about the MSN in Healthcare Simulation.
Online Open Houses
Learn more about this and other nursing programs from our previously recorded online open house webinar series.
Questions? We're here to help!
For application related questions:
For program related questions:
College of Nursing and Health Professions Program Team
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Compliance
- MS in Complementary and Integrative Health
- MS in Quality, Safety, and Risk Management in Healthcare
- MSN in Healthcare Simulation
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
Graduate students who utilize student loans (FAFSA) muct maintain a minimum enrollment of 4.5 credits per term.
|IPS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Health Care||3.0|
|IPS 503||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Health Care Environments||3.0|
|IPS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|IPS 591||Foundations of Healthcare Education||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|IPS 585||Science of Safety, Human Factors, and System Thinking||3.0|
|IPS 586||Creating a Culture of Safety||2.0|
|IPS 617||Simulation in Healthcare Education||4.5|
|IPS 618||Standardized Patients||3.0|
|IPS 619||Advanced Debriefing and Reflective Practice||3.0|
|IPS 620||Simulation Center Leadership||3.0|
|IPS 621||Evaluation in Simulation-Based Education||3.0|
|IPS 622||Simulation Capstone||5.5|
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
- If your GPA is lower, you're still encouraged to apply, but should include relevant professional experience on your resume. You must also provide two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill, and potential aptitude for graduate study.
- While specific experience is not required, previous related work experience may make your application more competitive
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions attended (including trade schools)
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Personal statement describing your interest in the program and particular specialty
- Additional requirements for International Students
An admissions interview may be required.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2022-2023 is $1069 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1187 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2022-2023 Academic Year
September 19, 2022
December 3, 2022
December 5, 2022
December 10, 2022
January 9, 2023
March 18, 2023
March 20, 2023
March 25, 2023
April 3, 2023
June 10, 2023
June 12, 2023
June 17, 2023
June 26, 2023
September 2, 2023
September 4, 2023
September 9, 2023
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.