Online MSN in Healthcare Simulation Degree Program
Drexel University's online MSN in Healthcare Simulation partners specialized training in simulation-based education with advanced education in patient safety to prepare you to lead in both clinical and academic environments. This nursing simulation program was designed for nurses, healthcare professionals, and simulation technicians. After completing your MSN in Healthcare Simulation, you will be eligible to sit for the Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) certification exam, as soon as you meet the practice requirements.
The online MSN in Healthcare Simulation was designed for registered nurses. If you do not hold a nursing degree, please see the online MS in Healthcare Simulation.
What is an MSN in Healthcare Simulation?
Nursing simulations allow you to learn and practice new skills, all while improving patient safety outcomes. During a nursing simulation, you may practice performing a procedure on a manikin, or use a piece of software that helps you better develop your patient communication skills. The goal of simulation-based education is to give you a safe environment to practice the procedures, care processes, and critical conversations that you will need to use in the clinical space.
Drexel’s online MSN in Healthcare Simulation was designed for registered nurses. In this program, you’ll gain specialized training in simulation-based education that can be transferred to careers in the clinical environment, clinical teaching, or the classroom.
MSN in Healthcare Simulation Program Features
- Learn from faculty in Drexel’s respected College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Once you graduate, you will be prepared to sit for the Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) certification, as soon as you meet the practice requirements
Requirements for The MSN in Healthcare Simulation Program
A Bachelor of Science in Nursing from a program fully accredited by the National League of Nursing (NLN/ACEN) or the American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN/CCNE) is required to apply for this program. Nurses with a non-nursing bachelor's degree may consider applying for the RN-BSN-MSN program to earn both a BSN and MSN concurrently, or apply to the RN to MSN Bridge Program. For additional requirements and application information, please see the admissions criteria section.
If you do not have an undergraduate degree in nursing, you may apply for Drexel’s online MS in Healthcare Simulation.
What Can I Do With a MSN in Healthcare Simulation?
Careers in Nursing and Other Healthcare Simulation
Drexel’s online MSN in Healthcare Simulation prepares you for advanced leadership roles in the nursing simulation field. Through courses like "Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Health Care," "Creating a Culture of Safety," and "Simulation Center Leadership," you’ll gain the knowledge and skills to succeed in careers throughout the field.
Common career titles include:
- Director of Nursing Simulation
Requires the clinical, educational, and technical expertise to oversee your simulation site. Your responsibilities would include teaching, supervising students, curriculum design, and faculty development and training, among other tasks.
- Nursing Simulation Manager
Primarily responsible for assisting with clinical skills simulated practice scenarios to help educate and train nurses in new clinical skills. Typically, this position reports to a simulation director and assists in the management of the facility.
- Nursing Simulation Educator
Traditionally works with students or colleagues in a simulation lab geared toward nursing skills. You would be responsible for demonstrating clinical skills in a simulated environment, while providing students with the opportunity to practice new skills in a safe simulated environment.
- Patient Safety Officer
Implements key patient safety strategies and programs with the goal of improving and achieving organizational patient safety objectives. This includes reducing harm, error reduction, and improved education.
- Professional Development Specialist
Apply your simulation training and knowledge to create appropriate, innovated educational activities to meet leadership's professional staff development goals.
MSN in Healthcare Simulation Salary Expectations
Salaries can vary based on location, position level, and employer, but some common job titles and average salaries within the nursing simulation field include:
Nursing Simulation Lab Coordinator
Nursing Instructor with Simulation Skills
Simulation Center Director
Medical Simulation Technician
Medical Simulation Professional
Healthcare Simulation Professional
*Data from payscale.com and ziprecruiter.com
MSN in Healthcare Simulation Program FAQs
Will the MSN in Healthcare Simulation prepare me for certification?
Drexel’s online MSN in Healthcare Simulation will provide you with the education needed to be eligible to sit for the Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) certification exam. Additional criteria are required beyond education, such as practice experience. To learn more about the certification eligibility criteria, please visit the Society for Simulation in Healthcare.
Can I still enroll in the MSN in Healthcare Simulation if I don’t have a BSN?
If you don’t have a BSN but have your RN licensure, you can enroll in the MSN in Healthcare Simulation program through either our RN-MSN or RN-BSN-MSN options. However, if you don’t have a nursing background, our online MS in Healthcare Simulation would be a better option for you.
Questions? We're here to help!
College of Nursing and Health Professions Program Team
- RN-MSN Bridge Program
- MS in Healthcare Simulation
- MSN: Clinical Nurse Leader
- MSN: Leadership in Health Systems Management
- MSN: Nursing Education
- MSN: Public Health Nursing
- MSN: Undeclared
Drexel University offers a variety of Graduate Minors that can be added to any master's degree program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
The MSN program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
Graduate students who utilize student loans (FAFSA) muct maintain a minimum enrollment of 4.5 credits per term.
|MSN Core Courses|
|NURS 500||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Healthcare Environments||3.0|
|NURS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Healthcare||3.0|
|NURS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|NURS 591||Foundations of Healthcare Education||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|IPS 585||Science of Safety, Human Factors, and System Thinking||3.0|
|IPS 586||Creating a Culture of Safety||2.0|
|IPS 617||Simulation in Healthcare Education||4.5|
|IPS 618||Standardized Patients||3.0|
|IPS 619||Advanced Debriefing and Reflective Practice||3.0|
|IPS 620||Simulation Center Leadership||3.0|
|IPS 621||Evaluation in Simulation-Based Education||2.0|
|IPS 622||Simulation Capstone||5.5|
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Your BSN must be from an institution accredited by the National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or the American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN). The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
- If your GPA is lower, you're still encouraged to apply, but should ensure that relevant professional experience is included on your resume. You must also provide two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill, and potential aptitude for graduate study.
- While specific clinical work and/or volunteer experience is not required, it may make your application more competitive.
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions attended (including trade schools)
- Two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill, and potential aptitude for graduate study
- If you have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, this requirement can be waived
- Personal statement describing your interest in the program and particular specialty
- Copy of your United States RN license
- Additional requirements for International Students
An admissions interview may be required.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is $1037 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1152 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2020-2021 Academic Year
September 21, 2020
December 5, 2020
December 7, 2020
December 12, 2020
January 11, 2021
March 13, 2021
March 15, 2021
March 20, 2021
March 29, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 7, 2021
June 12, 2021
June 21, 2021
August 28, 2021
August 30, 2021
September 4, 2021
Apply to earn a Drexel degree online!
By starting or resuming an application to Drexel University, I accept that I may be contacted by phone, e-mail, direct mail, and text message.